libnds 1.4.5, default arm7 0.5.14

Latest devkitPro news and announcements
WinterMute
Site Admin

libnds 1.4.5, default arm7 0.5.14

Post by WinterMute » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:15 pm

libnds 1.4.5 and default arm7 0.5.14 are now available through the windows installer as usual and from the getting started page on the wiki.

libnds 1.4.5
  • Removed some unneccessary typedefs and functions.
  • Replaced unbuffered IO in the console setup.
default arm7 0.5.14
  • recompiled without spurious test code, sorry.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

ShotgunNinja

Re: libnds 1.4.5, default arm7 0.5.14

Post by ShotgunNinja » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:32 pm

Sweet! Thanks a lot, WinterMute! I look forward to working with the new code.

Looking through it, I like the addition of a central <nds.h> include, and the movement of other files into the nds subfolder. Also, I like the addition of the dynamic array and linked list structures, and the comments I've read (especially in struct definitions) make a lot more sense now. However, I still would like a bit more in-depth Wi-Fi/Ni-Fi communication code examples, like an echo-over-Ni-Fi program, and a DS Download Play program template would be nice, if you can manage one given current hardware/software limitations. Thanks again!

elhobbs

Post by elhobbs » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:40 pm

aside from hardware init, which is handled in the samples, the dswifi lib exposes a berkeley sockets interface for TCP/IP and UDP sockets. I believe a ds download client would require a flashed bios on the ds. however, there are some client server apps that are able to download an nds file and launch it - the names escape me at the moment... dsftp might be one...

also, dswifi only supports connects through an AP - direct ds to ds connections are not possible at the moment. there are some unofficial libs that do this but they all misuse AP management packets in an unusual way that could likely cause problems with APs and devices in the area.

ShotgunNinja

Post by ShotgunNinja » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:01 am

All right, well I've scoured the forums a bit, and while I now realize the difficulty of my request, I came across an interesting link:

http://www.bottledlight.com/ds/index.ph ... MBProtocol

It appears that some work has been done in terms of analyzing the WMB protocol, and so perhaps with those "major adjustments" to DSWifi being somewhat possible (albeit risky), I think that it might be possible with some major fiddling around. I'm tempted to take this on as a pet project, to see where I can go with it. My first step, thought, is going to have to be establishing Ad-Hoc communication between two DS devices. Like you said, it's not an official part of libnds/dswifi, but thanks to the magical power of GBATek and the ability to make a custom ARM7 binary, I'm sure I could come up with something that works, given enough time... :mrgreen:

elhobbs

Post by elhobbs » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:25 am

There is filter hardware on the ds that no one has figured out. So that it refuses to receive non DS packets (as in the wifi header flags not nintendo ds). Good luck though, it would be really nice to have this functionality.

WMB is a waste of effort as it requires signed binaries or flashed ds. It is already possible to load nds file - homebrewmenu already does this. All that is needed is a way to transfer the file. WMB is only going to be useful for pirates.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:01 am

Please don't derail announcement threads with discussions of unrelated features, there's a forum for dswifi discussion.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog