devkitPPC release 22

Latest devkitPro news and announcements
WinterMute
Site Admin

devkitPPC release 22

Post by WinterMute » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:27 pm

The binaries for devkitPPC release 22 are now available. As usual the windows binary is available through the Automated Installer/Updater, for other platforms check the devkitPPC getting started page on the wiki.
  • updated to gcc 4.5.1.
  • updated gdb to 7.2.
  • enabled paired singles by default
  • enabled link time optimization.
  • thread safe handle allocation in libsysbase.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

Eke

Re: devkitPPC release 22

Post by Eke » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:40 pm

thanks for the update...

It seems that code compilation now takes relatively more time than with previous releases, is that expected ?

On another topic, when bumping gcc version, do you usually run test examples to see how fast the produced code runs regarding to previous releases (with same optimization flags) ?
My question could be: do the usual rule "the later, the better" applies regarding gcc ability to produce optimized PPC code ?

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:06 pm

I don't know about expected per se, certainly the compile time has tended to increase with newer versions but I know work is being done upstream to ameliorate that. To a certain extent it's a consequence of better code generation.

Recently we've been testing new devkitPPC builds by compiling WiiMC - usually I just throw a build at Tantric & Rodries and they do some tests to see how it effects playback. This release definitely improved things - videos which stuttered before now play smoothly.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

Eke

Post by Eke » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:16 pm

Ok, thanks for the insight.