Greetings. I have a problem. (warning: noob behind keyboard)

M. Lucanius

Greetings. I have a problem. (warning: noob behind keyboard)

Post by M. Lucanius » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:22 pm

I have been trying to learn what I can about coding using libnds, but I can't seem to compile an example.
I've downloaded the latest devkitARM, libnds, and examples from the sourceforge of devkitPro.

My OS is 32bit Fedora 11 Linux.

devkitARM is in the devkitPro directory as is libnds.
I have extracted libfat, libwifi, and maxmod into the libnds directory.

The error I'm getting is as follows:

Code: Select all

oracle@cyote hello_world]$ make
[ -d build ] || mkdir -p build
make --no-print-directory -C build -f /home/oracle/.local/share/Trash/files/libnds/examples/hello_world/Makefile
main.cpp
arm-eabi-g++ -MMD -MP -MF /home/oracle/.local/share/Trash/files/libnds/examples/hello_world/build/main.d -g -Wall -O2 -march=armv5te -mtune=arm946e-s -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -mthumb -mthumb-interwork -I/home/oracle/.local/share/Trash/files/libnds/examples/hello_world/include -I/home/oracle/.local/share/Trash/files/libnds/examples/hello_world/build -I/home/oracle/devkitPro/libnds/include -I/home/oracle/devkitPro/libnds/include -I/home/oracle/.local/share/Trash/files/libnds/examples/hello_world/build -DARM9 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -c /home/oracle/.local/share/Trash/files/libnds/examples/hello_world/source/main.cpp -o main.o 
linking hello_world.elf
built ... hello_world.arm9
Nintendo DS rom tool 1.46 - Dec  2 2009
by Rafael Vuijk, Dave Murphy, Alexei Karpenko
failed to open input file
make[1]: *** [/home/oracle/.local/share/Trash/files/libnds/examples/hello_world/hello_world.nds] Error 1
make: *** [build] Error 2
I've searched around but have come up dry. The most I could gather was that it was (in one case) lack of proper libs in the libnds directory. Another person found that ndstool required a default.elf to be in the libnds directory. I searched around my system and found one in an old backup of devkitPro. After copying it to the libnds directory, it compiled but wouldn't run correctly (two grey screens in emu). I think it's an incorrectly set up of the environment, but I just can't seem to get this one, hence my posting here.

any ideas? :cry:

Hohoo

Re: Greetings. I have a problem. (warning: noob behind keyboard)

Post by Hohoo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:15 pm

My directory structure goes like this:

/opt/devkitpro/
- devkitARM/
-- examples/
--- nds/
- libnds/
-- all libraries are thrown straight here

Have you set the DEVKITPRO and DEVKITARM environment variables?

M. Lucanius

Post by M. Lucanius » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:31 pm

Directory structure duplicated exactly and no difference :|
Are there some libs I'm missing? I added libfat, maxmod, and libwifi to libnds.

hm... perhaps it's the makefile? where can I find the latest makefile... or is there one? Do I have to make one myself?

Yjerkle

Post by Yjerkle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:44 pm

Did you install the default ARM7 binary? It should be at $DEVKITPRO/libnds/default.arm7 .
If not, you can get it here, and unpack it into the libnds folder just like maxmod and dswifi.

StevenH

Post by StevenH » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:50 pm

Have you tried installing the full devkitARM following the directions on the devkitPro docs here

Also there's a user created script here that installs and sets up everything for devkitARM, and it can be used to keep the libs upto date making upgrading easy.

M. Lucanius

Post by M. Lucanius » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:00 pm

Yjerkle wrote:Did you install the default ARM7 binary? It should be at $DEVKITPRO/libnds/default.arm7 .
If not, you can get it here, and unpack it into the libnds folder just like maxmod and dswifi.
Awesome, man. That was it. I knew I was missing something... it was that :roll:
StevenH wrote: Have you tried installing the full devkitARM following the directions on the devkitPro docs here

Also there's a user created script here that installs and sets up everything for devkitARM, and it can be used to keep the libs upto date making upgrading easy.
Thank you. I couldn't seem to find that...... bookmark! :-)

I have now compiled an example and am now on my way to libnds dev! :-)
Thank you all!