DS Download Play

padnoter

DS Download Play

Post by padnoter » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi,
Is it possible to program "ds download play" with devkitpro?
I've seen and tried a demo of a ds-to-ds program - which is great, but it requires the program to be loaded & run on both DSs..
I'd like to be able to run a program on one DS, and have the other DS in "download play" mode, which will then receive the game via local download and execute it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
pn

vuurrobin

Re: DS Download Play

Post by vuurrobin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:29 pm

AFAIK, the download play hasn't been hacked. so it's not possible unless someone manages to hack it.

padnoter

Post by padnoter » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:38 pm

a real shame, it would be v. cool to be able to use it.
I found some (old) info about it; http://www.bottledlight.com/ds/index.ph ... MBProtocol
but no example code :cry:

but still searching...

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 pm

It's not possible, sorry. The download play requires a valid RSA sig which can't be bypassed without patching the firmware. Unfortunately there's a rather high risk of bricking the console so we'd prefer not to encourage it.

There are other things we may be able to do but that's dependent on some major updates to dswifi.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

ShotgunNinja

Post by ShotgunNinja » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:40 am

I wonder, would it be possible to use a valid RSA signature/signatures from a different game's firmware? I'm not at all familiar with the storage location and accessing methods for the RSA signature, but seeing as the key is likely sent over wireless, I want to assume that one would be able to spoof the system by transmitting the beacon and signature of another valid DS Download Play program, and sending the custom program data in place of that of the other program. I'm assuming that there is some missing functionality in DSWifi's connection management systems which makes this difficult, if not impossible in it's current state; I'm also assuming that this is what WinterMute means by "dependant on some major updates to DSWifi".

Had I another DS to test this on, and a NoPass card of my own, I would definitely be trying this (or working on trying this) right now instead of talking about it.

syntotic

DS Download Play and bricked DSis

Post by syntotic » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:38 am

WinterMute wrote: Unfortunately there's a rather high risk of bricking the console
Would it be possible to have a DSi bricked by having Wireless Communications on and someone sending a Download Play signal while you are playing any cartridge X? Download stations were retired from all Gamestop stores :oops: and now cartridges are scarce, :roll: so I can no longer be sure if using Download Play updates the OS, as I seem to remember happened with my first DSi, purchased before the stations were in place. The update could possibly set a background loop to listen to connections and do its magic... Now I have a number of bricked DSi s :evil: one of which dropped dead under suspicious circumstances... like in, more than one Nintendo console failing within two blocks of the same garden square? The others I cant say, but all console just turned off suddenly despite being quite new and recent purchases, so two failures in the same location do look suspicious and the others were just coinciding with the same signal...

If I understand right, you would need a valid RSA key to certify you are a Nintendo store or Download Play station so you cannot piggyback on Nintendo s business, but now that Nintendo abandoned the DSi model and the online store, they might be willing to provide the keys so that people can download their homebrew applications... maybe!

I d go ahead and code my own PC to DSi download station, but now it looks even urgent to have code to test for such denial of service attack signals! There is a download station ROM I have not tried; good thing I found this article before testing it.

Is there any code available to start with these kind of applications? I was considering some ROM/emulator only projects, but the real meat is of course to be able to use the console itself without a cartridge by downloading only, as these console do seem to be quite resistant and durable (in the absence of this hypothetic DDoS signal).