Cleanup DS program?

Searinox

Cleanup DS program?

Post by Searinox » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:04 am

Hello.

Long ago I used these forums for guidance and developed a tiny boot-to-GBA and place frame app. Today I ask for some help again, but first hear me out.

Background:

I have noticed a number of issues with soft reset on flashcarts. First of all, anyone who's tried on most flashcarts to soft reset while the wifi adapter is running was then unable to use the touchscreen in DSOrganize. I noticed the wifi adapter continues to blink/run after the soft reset. Secondly, some things aren't properly cleared. For example on Supercard SRing out of GTA chinatown wars, and then running plants vs zombies will produce, the first time, a gray background on the main screen. Doing the same and loading Mario & Luigi - BiS will then produce a black screen after loading the save. I am sure many other similar issues exist and something isn't cleared properly. Thirdly, again only on Supercard DS-1, SRing out of ExpLoader then attempting to trade pokemon via a patched DS ROM that recognizes the 3in1's SRAM will produce an error and corrupt the 3in1 save. The DS must be powered off and then back on between these runs. Furthermore after trading with the 3in1 and then using the ExpLoader will "lock" the savegame, making it impossible to write over, unless NDS Backup Tool 3in1 is used to flush out the cart's whole SRAM.

Conclusion:

I believe that on many flashcarts some handles or hardware aren't deinitialized properly when soft resetting. The three areas I have identified are some unclear memory issues, slot-2 and wifi adapter. No doubt there may be more.

Goal:

What I would like to do is create a tiny app which dubs as the flashcart's firmware. When the DS boots or when SR is used, this file is run instead of the original firmware. It will then proceed to flush memory, close open handles, and reinitialize the hardware, and THEN pass control to the real firmware file, which will be specified in an .ini so that everyone can adapt it to their flashcart. In essence, the hardware and RAM must be brought to the exact same state as if the console had just powered on. This should solve all those problems with dirty resets.

What I require:

Is knowledge of the hardware and handles of the DS that need to be initialized and how to do it. I have programmed a DS app before and I believe the flushing and reiniting should be relatively easy, and some opensource firmwares like Wood may already be doing that. It would be of much help if you could give me some directions.

Thank you.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: Cleanup DS program?

Post by WinterMute » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:23 pm

We don't actually care whether or not you can run your pirated games, this board is intended to support the homebrew developers who use the devkitPro toolchains. We don't deal with "backups", patched "backups" or pirate "firmware"
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog