View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:38 am



Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 SDL and autotools 
Author Message

Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:27 pm
Posts: 1
Hi all,

I'm in the process of porting Aleph-One engine (http://marathon.sourceforge.net/) to the Wii in my Aleph-Wone project (http://code.google.com/p/aleph-wone/).
Using a bunch of shell scripts to chain and automate the different build processes (get third party libs, compile them, autogen, configure and make the application), I reached the point where it compiles flawlessly using devkitPro on Linux (it's a bit more challenging, and sloooow, from Windows, and does not work from MacOS).

The generated binary works pretty well considering its a first shot, but that will be the subject of future posts.

What bugs me now is wii-sdl : Aleph-One uses autotools to configure everything, and wii-sdl does not, so I had to hack a bit to get them working together.
I then saw that you created a version of the SDL library (is that the latest version ? http://sourceforge.net/projects/devkitpro/files/misc/SDL-1.2-wii.tar.bz2/download) that compiles fine with autotools so I decided to replace sdl-wii with your version.......... but !

Compiling it using wiiconf works great, but not using my own script. After digging for the problem, it appears I define the __WII__ symbol for my project, which triggers some code in the SDL_wiirwops.c file, which then does not compile. The exact same error is easily reproductible by changing __WII__ to __wii__ which is defined by -mrvl (I've just discovered this, and the fact that my __WII__ is useless).
Actually, the wii platform is not defined in this project, nor is the wii specific structure for file operations. I did not try right now but I think this particular bit of code could be retrieved directly from wii-sdl project.

So in short, the SDL compiles fine but chances are it does not link because of lacking rwops functions masked by the undefined __WII__ preprocessor macro. And if it is defined, it does not compile anymore due to missing bits of code that could be retrieved from wii-sdl.

Can something be done from your side concerning this ? Or I could try to make it work and provide you with a patch...
What about a repository where to share our findings and improvements (mine would be very scarce since I'm not a C/C++ guru) ?

Additionally, I will try and see if SDL sub-projects (SDL_image, SDL_ttf, ...) can be grabbed and compiled as is from SDL web sites once your library is built, instead of using wii-sdl's ones.


As a side note, I think you could :
- Remove libicon dependency from the wiiconf script. That does not make the build process to fail.
- Remove the CON_Init from the video driver : putting it here forces the game to have a visible console, which is not necessarily a good thing


Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:07 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
  Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.
Get devkitPro at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads