Colors! 3D

Latest devkitPro news and announcements
Jens

Colors! 3D

Post by Jens » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:36 am

In less than 12 hours, Colors! 3D will launch in the Nintendo 3DS eShop. That journey started back in 2007 thanks to devkitPro and libnds. It would never have happened without that. Let's hope it sells like hot-cakes, and if it does, I promise to give back to this community.

My deepest thanks,

Jens

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: Colors! 3D

Post by WinterMute » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:25 am

Congratulations Jens, that's quite a journey you've had, glad to have been a small part of it. I took the liberty of moving your post to this forum so it got pushed out on the devitPro twitter feed.

Just noticed you finally have a release date for europe/australia so I'm looking forward to the 19th, let's hope it tops the charts here too :D

http://colorslive.com/pressrelease_april_11_2012.php
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

dovoto
Developer

Post by dovoto » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:50 am

We accept payment in the form of free beer!

Awesome work and congrats.

Gryphon93

Post by Gryphon93 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:14 pm

I bought Colors! 3D yesterday and it's very impressive. I like it a lot, just like I like the original Colors! for DS. Kepp up the good work Jens! I yet have to draw something that I'll save, but that's not too important. The gallery is also amazing. So many wonderful pieces of art!

Jens

Post by Jens » Tue May 01, 2012 2:28 am

Turns out Colors! 3D was more successful that I could have hoped for. Three weeks topping the eShop sales chart, pushing Mario and Zelda down and as well as holding a nice spot on Metacritic. You can't imagine how lucky and proud I feel.

So, looks like I will have to hold myself up to my promise. First royalty comes end of Q2 (end of July). Where can I find the donate button around this site nowadays? :)

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:23 am

Congratulations on topping the charts with Colors, you deserve it. Kind of a shame you had to pull the original homebrew colors - it might have made a nice advertising tool for the other platforms. Some devs have told me their DS homebrew releases generate quite a bit of interest in their IOS releases, I imagine that would probably work pretty well for 3DS stuff too. I know this is never likely to happen but ... imagine if homebrew could launch the eShop straight to a particular release - have a word with Reggie when you see him :p

Sorry to take so long replying to this and I really should try and make a more obvious link to a donation button somewhere. There's a page at http://devkitpro.org/support-devkitpro/ with some semi amusing donation amounts and reasons to donate.

Personal Blog

Jens

Post by Jens » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:24 am

devkitPro is really awesome software. I remember back in the days when I got the first version of Colors! up and running for the Nintendo DS and how impressed I was with the whole tool-chain. Having worked in the games industry for quite a while, I've seen my share of early platform technologies, both good ones and bad ones. devkitPro blew me away by being really robust and actually allowed me to focus on what I was trying to build, rather than having to fight the tools – and all this while still being absolutely free!

That was over 5 years ago, and it warms my heart to see that devkitPro keeps going. Because of that I wanted to use my new-found success and giving a little bit back. The tools you have provided were as valuable to me as any official tools I have purchased. Therefore, I've decided to make a comparable contribution, and I’m very happy to donate $3000 to the cause.

And let me know if any of you ever drop by San Francisco, and I’ll be happy to buy you a couple of rounds of beer. Thanks for the awesome software!

Jens

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:19 am

That's amazingly generous Jens & thanks so much, especially for your kind words about the tools which actually mean much more to me than money ever could. I'm incredibly proud that the toolchains played some small part in the well deserved success of Colors! 3D and it's been a joy watching it grow from it's humble beginnings :)

Personal Blog