devkitPro graphical installer gives multiple time out errors on first install

FreeBeerUpgrade

Post by FreeBeerUpgrade » Wed May 13, 2020 1:25 am

Hello,

I installed devkitpro on win10 via the graphical installer to work on some gba projects.

I got multiple time out errors during the installation process, related to some msys2 packages.
The install did complete, but I'm worried something may be missing.
Fortunately, I can still compile the gba examples provided and they seem to work as intended.

Tried to reinstall multiple times and had the same problem.
From what I got on searching this could be related to some soundforge mirrors being down.

Is there anything I should manually update via pacman or even be worried about?
Should I send you the console output?

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: devkitPro graphical installer gives multiple time out errors on first install

Post by WinterMute » Wed May 13, 2020 10:19 am

The primary purpose of the windows installer is to get everything set up consistently rather than relying on instructions to set up paths and environment variables. Once it's all there it's probably easier to just run updates manually via pacman from the msys2 shell (there's a shortcut under devkitPro in the start menu). Just use pacman -Syu from that terminal & don't worry about updating via gui installer.

We probably need to update the msys2 bundle the installer downloads to a more recent version - I think the timeouts may be the bits where pacman requires the terminal closed & the installation restarting to proceed after core updates.

Console output would be useful if possible, just to check if it's something more to worry about.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog