Can anyone spare a little help?

support for the ARM toolchain
Helios

Can anyone spare a little help?

Post by Helios » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:05 pm

Sorry to pester you. But I was wondering if you could explain what the problem I'm having is and if there are any fixs available for it.

I'm trying to compile the libnds examples that come with devkitpro, but when I try I end up with an 'arm-eabi-gcc.exe: ds_arm9.specs: No such file or directory' error. I'm currently compiling it in VC++ Express, though even compiling it using a bat files results in the following error; "arm-eabi-g++.exe: Create Process: No such file or directory."

I'm currently running Vista Home Premium (yes I know, terrible) and my path variables are as follows;

"c:\devkitPro\msys\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (November 2007)\Utilities\Bin\x86;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\"

I've found that that changing it to the following results in it compiling;
"c:\devkitPro\msys\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (November 2007)\Utilities\Bin\x86;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\devkitPro\devkitARM\bin;C:\devkitPro\devkitARM\arm-eabi\bin;C:\devkitPro\devkitARM\libexec\gcc\arm-eabi\4.1.2;"

Unfortunatly when doing this the compiler just breaks and I get reams and reams of errors when compiling, a shortened example of the errors that ococur are as follows; (I believe it is just unable to find the correct headers, I know where they are and that they exist, how can I make devkitpro understand this though?)
"
In file included from c:/devkitPro/libnds/include/nds.h:44,
from c:/devkitPro/examples/nds/Graphics/2D/Double_Buffer/source/main.cpp:6:
c:/devkitPro/libnds/include/nds/jtypes.h:65:20: warning: stdint.h: No such file or directory

Mod: snipped

make[1]: *** [main.o] Error 1
"make": *** [build] Error 2
"

I am aware that there have been a great deal of problems with devkitpro on Vista in the past, but I assumed that release of devkitarm 21 would fix this problem, especially given the following line of text on the front page;

"Now working on Vista/Vista64 - users who were impatient and modified paths should now remove those changes"

Anybody got any way of helping? I've uninstalled and reinstalled several times, remove possible software that could cause problems and still can't get it to work. DevKitPro is to the bets of my knowledge completely up to date, along with devKitArm and libnds.

Helios

Re: Can anyone spare a little help?

Post by Helios » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:11 pm

Hum odd, seems to work now. Don't understand why though as I haven't changed anything since I posted that message O_o. Guess a reboot must have fixed some stuff.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:59 pm

Helios wrote:Sorry to pester you. But I was wondering if you could explain what the problem I'm having is and if there are any fixs available for it.

I'm trying to compile the libnds examples that come with devkitpro, but when I try I end up with an 'arm-eabi-gcc.exe: ds_arm9.specs: No such file or directory' error. I'm currently compiling it in VC++ Express, though even compiling it using a bat files results in the following error; "arm-eabi-g++.exe: Create Process: No such file or directory."
That suggests that something has gone a bit wrong with the installation. I'm not sure what to suggest other than reinstalling.

I've found that that changing it to the following results in it compiling;
"c:\devkitPro\msys\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (November 2007)\Utilities\Bin\x86;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\devkitPro\devkitARM\bin;C:\devkitPro\devkitARM\arm-eabi\bin;C:\devkitPro\devkitARM\libexec\gcc\arm-eabi\4.1.2;"
Remove those paths, they'll cause issues later. They may actually be responsible for the compiler not being able to find it's own headers.

Magical fix? I wish I knew. I suppose it's possible that Vista needs a reboot to reset the environment properly.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

Helios

Post by Helios » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:15 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm managed to get it working now, though I'm still pretty clueless about how I actually did that.

loon810

Post by loon810 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:18 pm

I had this same problem on my machine and tracked it down, sounds different than your problem but perhaps this will help others

I had an environment variable defined GCC_EXEC_PREFIX that pointed at a no-longer existing directory. I deleted the variable and everything started working.