Setting up devkitARM with Visual C++ 2010 Express

support for the ARM toolchain
RedChu

Setting up devkitARM with Visual C++ 2010 Express

Post by RedChu » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:11 am

I've searched numerous times looking for something that would explain how to setup the devkitARM toolchain for at least Visual C++ 2008 Express, but really, nothing I've found is working out properly.

Apparently there used to be a little guide on this site that said how to do this, however it's no longer online and I had to resort to going to http://web.archive.org/web/200807130824 ... c-express/. I tried what this said and I can't fully understand it, and I don't know if the images were necessary or not since they aren't on there.

Following what I could of that and other guides, I've managed to get as far as:

Code: Select all

1>------ Build started: Project: template, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  linking multiboot
1>  c:/devkitpro/devkitarm/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-eabi/4.4.3/../../../../arm-eabi/lib/thumb/gba_crt0.o: In function `CIDExit':
1>  (.init+0x20c): undefined reference to `main'
1>  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
1>  make[1]: *** [/c/Users/pc/Documents/GBAprojects/template/template/template_mb.elf] Error 1
1>  make: *** [build] Error 2
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
This is when I attempt compile it in VC++, though nothing is created. Hopefully someone will be able to help me because I really don't want to use Programmer's Notepad 2 for this, but I suppose if I must, I will.

If it helps, I'm planning to use libgba and hopefully make something for the GBA, not NDS (not sure if it matters, really).

Izhido

Re: Setting up devkitARM with Visual C++ 2010 Express

Post by Izhido » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:27 pm

The instructions for setting up VC++ are correct, for the most part. There is a problem in the regex, though; linking errors are not captured, so when any error like the one you just posted occurs, VC doesn't get it and reports a succesful compilation. Some time ago, WinterMute helped me with it. This is my 'make' command in my current projects:

make 2>&1 | sed -e 's/\(.[a-zA-Z]\+\):\([0-9]\+\):/\1(\2):/' -e 's/\(undefined reference\)/error : \1/' 
With it, you should now see your undefined references in the Errors List window in VC.

As for the actual error in your app, well... I think we need a little more information about your app before giving you more advice :D .

Just one thing: the toolchain expects C sources to have .c as its extension, and C++ sources to have .cpp (at least, when using the default makefile).

vuurrobin

Post by vuurrobin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:51 pm

the proces of setting it up for VS2008 is also described here:

http://www.console-dev.de/2009/09/03/cr ... udio-2008/

I'm pretty sure that it works the same for gba projects.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Izhido wrote:The instructions for setting up VC++ are correct, for the most part. There is a problem in the regex, though; linking errors are not captured, so when any error like the one you just posted occurs, VC doesn't get it and reports a succesful compilation. Some time ago, WinterMute helped me with it. This is my 'make' command in my current projects:

make 2>&1 | sed -e 's/\(.[a-zA-Z]\+\):\([0-9]\+\):/\1(\2):/' -e 's/\(undefined reference\)/error : \1/' 
This regex is no longer required, the devkitPro build system now filters the errors automatically.
RedChu wrote:

1>------ Build started: Project: template, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  linking multiboot
1>  c:/devkitpro/devkitarm/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-eabi/4.4.3/../../../../arm-eabi/lib/thumb/gba_crt0.o: In function `CIDExit':
1>  (.init+0x20c): undefined reference to `main'
1>  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
1>  make[1]: *** [/c/Users/pc/Documents/GBAprojects/template/template/template_mb.elf] Error 1
1>  make: *** [build] Error 2
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
This is when I attempt compile it in VC++, though nothing is created. Hopefully someone will be able to help me because I really don't want to use Programmer's Notepad 2 for this, but I suppose if I must, I will.

If it helps, I'm planning to use libgba and hopefully make something for the GBA, not NDS (not sure if it matters, really).
Looks like you're set up fine, you just haven't defined a main function in your app. This one is usually caused by not putting source files in the source folder in the template.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

RedChu

Post by RedChu » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:01 am

WinterMute wrote:Looks like you're set up fine, you just haven't defined a main function in your app. This one is usually caused by not putting source files in the source folder in the template.
I just checked and yeah, the main file wasn't in the source folder (I hadn't actually created a source folder yet).

Also, is there a way to get Intellisense to recognize everything? Right now it's only recognizing a few things, such as irqInit(); (that's the only one I can think of at the moment that is working).