new MSYS version contains virus (maybe)

support for the ARM toolchain
aussieinca

new MSYS version contains virus (maybe)

Post by aussieinca » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:37 am

Hi,
I'm not sure that the latest version of MSYS does have a virus, but my anti-virus software flagged and blocked 19 exe files in the msys/bin directory, which means I can no longer compile any projects :(
I'm contemplating uninstalling and re-installing devkitARM tomorrow, but thought I'd post a query here to see if anybody has struck a similar issue. I was hoping to downgrade or remove MSYS from the devkitARM installation, but the only options with the autoinstaller seem to be to update to all latest packages, or uninstall everything.
Thanks
Aussieinca

EXE Files flagged as containing "Virus.Win32.Ceg!IK"
chmod, comm, cp, echo, fold, head, id, install, join, ls, mkdir, ok, pwd, rmdir, sort, split, stty, tr, uname

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: new MSYS version contains virus (maybe)

Post by WinterMute » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:01 am

Unfortunately this happens with disturbing regularity, it's a false positive. Replace your AV software with something that works. Avast has been working well for me.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

zeromus

Post by zeromus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:03 am

Hello! This is the Virus Detection Response Team Auto-Responder.

We are posting this message in your software support forum because one of your users reported the presence of a virus as detected by security package %UNDEFINED and you gave no indication (which could be detected by our natural language analysis algorithm) that you had used more than one virus scanner.

Users of %UNDEFINED should be aware that false positives are commonplace and to be expected. Verification on other security packages is required before spending bits discussing the matter.

If this user is able to gather any interesting evidence other than the results of a most cursory single-package scan, then he should post them here for further analysis.

aussieinca

Post by aussieinca » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:02 am

As per your suggestion I have rescanned the devkitpro with other virus scanning software and found no problems.
Results
Online Armor Antivirus Engine 4.5.0.50, 1.1.84.0 => Virus.Win32.Ceg!IK
AVG Antivirus Free Edition 9.0.856, Virus DB 271.1.1/3155 => ALL CLEAR
Avast Free Antivirus 5.0.677, Definitions 100923-1 => ALL CLEAR

With your confidence that this is a misunderstanding, I guess I'll accept two out of three, though this is the first false positive Online Armor has given me.
I'll manually override it's warning system.

Thanks for the quick response

zeromus

Post by zeromus » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:42 am

Theres a first time for everything. Doesnt mean it is unusual or unexpected.

Theres another reason to use multiple virus scanners: false negatives.

StevenH

Post by StevenH » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:30 am

I only use one av software - bitdefender - and thats got it's own set of problems, a few months ago it decided that everything on the hdd contained a virus. All av software has the chance of a false positive, heck teamspeak2 client contain code that can be detected as a virus by some av software under some circumstances.

Izhido

Post by Izhido » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:29 pm

I know I shouldn't be advertising stuff in here or anything, but... if you have Windows, their own MSE seems to work OK. No false positives so far... (let's hope there are no false negatives too :D )