View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:31 pm



Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 installer bug 
Author Message

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 1
I had intentions to compile Linux for a Samsung S3C2440 based ARM SBC.
I installed Cygwin, Eclipse and GNU ARM Toolchain. I found that the GNU ARM Toolchain did not have EABI it was elf. I found that devkitARM had EABI, so I downloaded the online installer and installed devkitPro.

That's when I saw the horrible thing that had happened.

My PATH was gone. All that was there was a PATH to devkitPro. Holy Cow, I have never seen this before.

My System is Windows 7, 64 bit.

I am reporting this as a bug.

I was able to recover my earlier PATH from the registry, thank goodness I know my way around the scrap yard.

On another note, to cross-compile a Linux system with Qtopia and some apps, is devkitARM OK, or do folks use other cross-compile chains?


Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:21 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 pm
Posts: 4
Got this one today too. The path was overwritten instead of appending devkitpro directory.

My system is the same as the original poster: Windows 7 64-bit.


Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:31 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:21 am
Posts: 1277
Location: UK
Sorry about the path issue - unfortunately I'm really not sure how that happened. I've updated the installer so it will abort the path setting and warn if it attempts to set a blank path. Could you give the new one a shot & see what happens? The current updater will download the new one when you run it and it's probably best to backup your current path just in case.

devkitARM is a baremetal toolchain which uses newlib to provide libc so it's not really suitable for building linux apps. You'll need an arm-none-linux-gnueabi toolchain, the CodeSourcery tools are popular. http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software ... e-edition/

_________________
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

devkitPro IRC support
Personal Blog


Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:28 am
Profile ICQ WWW

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 pm
Posts: 4
Well, installing it from 1.5.1 I got an "update=0" message at the end and still the path was overwritten for devkitPro's bin directory, though this time I had the path backed up.

Is there a limit in the installer for the path string length, or is it just overwriting instead of appending to the end?


Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:42 am
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:21 am
Posts: 1277
Location: UK
It's supposed to prepend the path, there's some logic in the installer to remove the old path to msys and reinsert it at the beginning. There have been some problems with the tools if the system path contains paths with spaces before the msys/bin directory. I'll dig out a win7 machine and see if I can figure out what's going wrong.

_________________
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

devkitPro IRC support
Personal Blog


Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:10 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 pm
Posts: 4
I tested in a Win 7 32-bit system and it worked as expected. The problem is just with 64-bit systems.


Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:21 am
Posts: 1277
Location: UK
What version did you end up testing with? I uploaded another update (1.5.3) earlier.

The earlier versions of the installer worked fine on every 64bit windows 7 machine I've been able to find, it's definitely not related to that. Try 1.5.3 and see if that works - while you're testing could you let me know the length (in bytes) of your PATH on the machine where it's been failing.

_________________
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

devkitPro IRC support
Personal Blog


Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:56 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:57 pm
Posts: 107
Location: Costa Rica
Hm. Could it probably be some incompatibility issue, corrected maybe with Service Pack 1 ?


Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:21 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 pm
Posts: 4
Trying again, now with version 1.5.3, removing the path added by version 1.5.1. For the record, I'm using a Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit. Before installing, it's length is 1480 characters.

Done, it's prepending correctly now =)

After installing:

Image


Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:18 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:21 am
Posts: 1277
Location: UK
killerasus wrote:
Trying again, now with version 1.5.3, removing the path added by version 1.5.1. For the record, I'm using a Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit. Before installing, it's length is 1480 characters.


And apparently that's the problem - the standard NSIS script compiler is built with support for only 1024byte strings, I had to go get a special build with 8192byte strings instead. 1480bytes is one heck of a path btw, I don't think I have a machine with one longer than 500 or 600 characters.

It does explain why this was only happening to a small number of people though.

Quote:
Done, it's prepending correctly now =)


Awesome, glad I got that fixed :)

_________________
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

devkitPro IRC support
Personal Blog


Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:56 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
  Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.
Get devkitPro at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads