help with title/icon

support for the ARM toolchain
ba2ry

help with title/icon

Post by ba2ry » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:22 am

I've read loads of tutorials and stuff, but still cant find out how you give a homebrew game a title and icon to display on the menu (using R4DS). mine always say "untitled"

can anyone tell me (and anyone else who reads this) how you do it

thanks in advance

THREE_Consoles

Re: help with title/icon

Post by THREE_Consoles » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:23 am

Im not in in ds coding but for wii and ps3 it is the same.There is a specific offset for this where to place it.

ba2ry

Post by ba2ry » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:13 pm

there's a good chance it'll be the same for the ds then, worth a try...
so what is it you do? ie what commands?, where do they go?

StevenH

Post by StevenH » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:04 pm

I asked about this on the #DSDev IRC channel a while back, and the answer at the time was "it's not possible within the toolchain at the moment", but looking at the current tool chain it is possible, and I'm trying to find out how to do it now with some experimentation.

I know it's a part of the actual .nds build process, and for the icon you will need a 32x32 256 colour .BMP file. I'll post the correct steps once I work it out.

Might help if there was an example on how to do this...

Edit:

OK just a quick makefile edit and I got a custom icon and title line:

Code: Select all

GAME_TITLE      := My Custom Title
GAME_SUBTITLE1  := Sub Title 1
GAME_SUBTITLE2  := Sub Title 2
GAME_ICON       := $(CURDIR)/../no_inc_data/logo.bmp
Add those 4 lines to the end of the section titled "Options for code generation" in your makefile (assuming that your using a makefile similar to the ones provided by Dovoto / WinterMute in their examples.

If there's a better way to point to the no_inc_data folder (or a better location to store graphics that will not be included by grit, etc) then please post it here.

Oh and remember that this is for the latest dev tool chain, as I'm not sure when Dov / WM added this feature.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:57 pm

With the latest arm9 template you can just add icon.bmp or $(TARGET).bmp to the root folder of the project. $(TARGET) is the name you specified in the makefile or the name of the directory if you didn't change it.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog