First time in DS dev, having a few problems

support for the ARM toolchain
Locked
Sukasa
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 3:38 am

First time in DS dev, having a few problems

Post by Sukasa » Thu May 15, 2008 3:44 am

Very sorry if this has been covered somewhere, I haven't been able to find it.

Anyways, after having downloaded the plugin set for moonshell, since I'm wanting to create a plugin for a different audio format (specifically, GC/Wii stream formats), I thought I would just use the wave plugin as a base.

My problem is, the wave plugin (without changes) won't compile, and neither will any other plugin- and I"m not sure what the error would be and how to fix it, I can only guess. This is somewhat of a problem for me, as I had intended to read through the code and learn from it, but that's not such a good idea if said code is uncompilable, is it? :P

Anyways, this is the output log from programmer's notepad
> "make"
"make" -C arm9 -f Makefile
make[1]: Entering directory `/d/moonshellpluginv51sdk/mspv10_wav/arm9'
crt0.s
link start
c:/devkitpror17/devkitarm/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-eabi/4.3.0/../../../../arm-eabi/bin/ld.exe: error: no memory region specified for loadable section `.text.3'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [/d/moonshellpluginv51sdk/mspv10_wav/arm9/arm9.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/d/moonshellpluginv51sdk/mspv10_wav/arm9'
"make": *** [arm9/mspv10_wav.so] Error 2

> Process Exit Code: 2
> Time Taken: 00:00
And this is the source code in question:

http://sukasa.kicks-ass.org/mspv10_wav.rar

Now, if I make a guess, I'm assuming that there is an error with the MS plugin file- would anybody be willing to help me out a bit, I'm very interested in getting this t work (and therefore learning to make it work on my own in future)

davr
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:34 pm
Location: Northern California, USA
Contact:

Re: First time in DS dev, having a few problems

Post by davr » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:46 am

Unfortunately, moonshell has somewhat of a reputation for having horrible code. So it's very likely that the example, is in fact, uncompilable. The only thing I can think to suggest is to build a standalone player, but that doesn't help much for playing within moonshell.

andWhy
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:18 am

Re: First time in DS dev, having a few problems

Post by andWhy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:10 pm

I am experiencing exactly the same problem as Sukasa and cannot get it fixed.
I'm sort of managing to fix `.text.3' by adding it to the linker file by hand, but then it'll ask for `text.4' with the same error message, which upon adding will trigger `text.5' and so on; this goes on up to `text.25'. Then it will ask for `.ARM.extab', `.ARM.exidx', `.init_array' and `.fini_array' in this order, after which it will inquire `text.26' ... (edit: these requests are growing arbitrarily far from there on; at least up to 2^15 where I gave up)

I assume there is hope as the code is actually compiling on something older than the current devkitPro (1.4.7) since someone stated it would compile with his older version

Is there some obvious mistake in the code? Or would downgrading be a feasible solution?


Update: I managed to make it compile by a fluke now,
The result of the compilation looks alright, even though it makes moonshell freeze on startup; that's probably not the business of this forum any more then.
Thanks for reading :roll:

WinterMute
Site Admin
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:21 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: First time in DS dev, having a few problems

Post by WinterMute » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:59 pm

Unfortunately we can't support Moonshell, please don't ask.

The problems are due to the design and programming methods used by the original author. It can be fixed with a *lot* of work but we really don't have the resources available to help.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

devkitPro IRC support
Personal Blog

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest