installer bug

support for the ARM toolchain
tomkinsr
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:14 pm

installer bug

Post by tomkinsr » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:21 pm

I had intentions to compile Linux for a Samsung S3C2440 based ARM SBC.
I installed Cygwin, Eclipse and GNU ARM Toolchain. I found that the GNU ARM Toolchain did not have EABI it was elf. I found that devkitARM had EABI, so I downloaded the online installer and installed devkitPro.

That's when I saw the horrible thing that had happened.

My PATH was gone. All that was there was a PATH to devkitPro. Holy Cow, I have never seen this before.

My System is Windows 7, 64 bit.

I am reporting this as a bug.

I was able to recover my earlier PATH from the registry, thank goodness I know my way around the scrap yard.

On another note, to cross-compile a Linux system with Qtopia and some apps, is devkitARM OK, or do folks use other cross-compile chains?

killerasus
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: installer bug

Post by killerasus » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:31 pm

Got this one today too. The path was overwritten instead of appending devkitpro directory.

My system is the same as the original poster: Windows 7 64-bit.

WinterMute
Site Admin
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:21 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: installer bug

Post by WinterMute » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:28 am

Sorry about the path issue - unfortunately I'm really not sure how that happened. I've updated the installer so it will abort the path setting and warn if it attempts to set a blank path. Could you give the new one a shot & see what happens? The current updater will download the new one when you run it and it's probably best to backup your current path just in case.

devkitARM is a baremetal toolchain which uses newlib to provide libc so it's not really suitable for building linux apps. You'll need an arm-none-linux-gnueabi toolchain, the CodeSourcery tools are popular. http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software ... e-edition/
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

devkitPro IRC support
Personal Blog

killerasus
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: installer bug

Post by killerasus » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:42 am

Well, installing it from 1.5.1 I got an "update=0" message at the end and still the path was overwritten for devkitPro's bin directory, though this time I had the path backed up.

Is there a limit in the installer for the path string length, or is it just overwriting instead of appending to the end?

WinterMute
Site Admin
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:21 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: installer bug

Post by WinterMute » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:10 pm

It's supposed to prepend the path, there's some logic in the installer to remove the old path to msys and reinsert it at the beginning. There have been some problems with the tools if the system path contains paths with spaces before the msys/bin directory. I'll dig out a win7 machine and see if I can figure out what's going wrong.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

devkitPro IRC support
Personal Blog

killerasus
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: installer bug

Post by killerasus » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:54 pm

I tested in a Win 7 32-bit system and it worked as expected. The problem is just with 64-bit systems.

WinterMute
Site Admin
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:21 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: installer bug

Post by WinterMute » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:56 pm

What version did you end up testing with? I uploaded another update (1.5.3) earlier.

The earlier versions of the installer worked fine on every 64bit windows 7 machine I've been able to find, it's definitely not related to that. Try 1.5.3 and see if that works - while you're testing could you let me know the length (in bytes) of your PATH on the machine where it's been failing.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

devkitPro IRC support
Personal Blog

User avatar
Izhido
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:57 pm
Location: Costa Rica
Contact:

Re: installer bug

Post by Izhido » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Hm. Could it probably be some incompatibility issue, corrected maybe with Service Pack 1 ?

killerasus
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: installer bug

Post by killerasus » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:18 pm

Trying again, now with version 1.5.3, removing the path added by version 1.5.1. For the record, I'm using a Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit. Before installing, it's length is 1480 characters.

Done, it's prepending correctly now =)

After installing:

Image

WinterMute
Site Admin
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:21 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: installer bug

Post by WinterMute » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:56 am

killerasus wrote:Trying again, now with version 1.5.3, removing the path added by version 1.5.1. For the record, I'm using a Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit. Before installing, it's length is 1480 characters.
And apparently that's the problem - the standard NSIS script compiler is built with support for only 1024byte strings, I had to go get a special build with 8192byte strings instead. 1480bytes is one heck of a path btw, I don't think I have a machine with one longer than 500 or 600 characters.

It does explain why this was only happening to a small number of people though.
Done, it's prepending correctly now =)
Awesome, glad I got that fixed :)
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

devkitPro IRC support
Personal Blog

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest