questions about card io and the filesystem

Support for the GBA/DS/Gamecube/Wii media card library
zeromus

Re: questions about card io and the filesystem

Post by zeromus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:06 pm

the general doesn't necessarily like being reminded of the territory he's ceded in order to make gains on other ground. he's gone over it many times in his own head already. if you want to inhabit a burned-out, abandoned husk of a card, then be prepared to defend and nurture its grieving citizens yourself.

nitrox

Post by nitrox » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:32 pm

WinterMute wrote:No, it's selfish, stupid and short sighted.

All card manufacturers claim they support homebrew - if they don't then they're just another device intended solely for piracy and thus illegal.

All the recent "big name" cards support argv, others have argv support from 3rd party menus like akaio and woodRPG, hbmenu can be enticed to support pretty much any card without much fuss.

Searching the card DOES NOT work. There's no conceivable way to guarantee that it will find the file or, even if it does, that it's the correct file. Compound that with the prevalence of large capacity cards where some users store 100s if not 1000s of nds files.

Please use the energy you obviously have spare to argue with me to encourage your card manufacturer to support homebrew properly instead.
My..my.. what strong language here. Looks like I stepped on some very sensitive toes. The fact that I have that much energy solely stems from the fact that the arguments given so far are not convincing. In fact I tend to see them as arrogant. I've seen this before with big software componies arguing that the whole world should follow there bidding and only theirs.

However, I guess it's about time to quit the discussion here since I assume it is pointless. I guess I'll have to find my own solution here.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:52 pm

The solution is for all launchers to support argv.

If you're not convinced that searching the card for a file which may not exist every single time your nds file is launched then I really have no idea how to convince you.

argv support is simple, elegant and can only fail if the launcher doesn't provide it.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

zeromus

Post by zeromus » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:06 pm

the toes are sensitive because theyve been stepped on already 100 times by the exact same shoes. youre just the latest one to wear them. you think you're the first? it gets tiresome after a while.

big software companies have a BIG MISSION and have too much inertia to be bothered by gnats. a similar effect is operating here. of course, if you can't even imagine the world of strategy that they inhabit and what happens when a lot of people depend on them for a lot of things, then their actions and attitudes are going to seem arrogant, arbitrary, capricious, confusing, and likely all four at once.

nitrox

Post by nitrox » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:27 am

zeromus wrote:the toes are sensitive because theyve been stepped on already 100 times by the exact same shoes. youre just the latest one to wear them. you think you're the first? it gets tiresome after a while.

big software companies have a BIG MISSION and have too much inertia to be bothered by gnats. a similar effect is operating here. of course, if you can't even imagine the world of strategy that they inhabit and what happens when a lot of people depend on them for a lot of things, then their actions and attitudes are going to seem arrogant, arbitrary, capricious, confusing, and likely all four at once.
I guessed that one myself. But that's no reason for wintermute to give such a harsh reply. And if it is raised a 100 times, two questions rise: (a) why not simply point me to a FAQ holding this information and (b) if it is asked that many times how valid is the argument that most popular card manufacturers support argv. For what it's worth, I requested my card manufacturer to implement this function.

zeromus

Post by zeromus » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:25 am

a) having to write a faq is the nuclear option. writing documentation is boring, and most people don't read it anyway. it is much better to leave it ambiguous and then explain it to people when they ask. of course, having people refuse to accept the explanations wrecks that plan
b) valid enough? most != all...

NightFox

Post by NightFox » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:40 am

The Bad idea of use Search for the file into SD.
Long time ago, when i was too innocent, i has happy coding using EFS. Was great i think, all my files embemed into the NDS. Time passed and i entry a project into compo, and surprise, people starts to blame me because game dont boots. Extrange, i test this game on many flashcards and it works right.
Some one mail me telling, your game works, but takes 10 minutes to bootup first time.
After made some check i see it. I work with a clean SD, with minimal system just to test homebrew. a normal users has games, cheat files... sometimes over 3000 files on his SD. I decided to test it. Put a complete OS with all cheat files and surprise: my game takes 15 minutes to boot up with a class 6 SD.
all this time EFS was triying to locate the NDS file into the SD.
After this i see things clear. Move to NitroFS. Easy to use, much faster on file transfer and if card don't supports ARGV i only has to use HBMenu.
It's better lost 3 seconds to load HBmenu that wait for 15 minutes for every test...