NDS loader / SoftReset

Support for the GBA/DS/Gamecube/Wii media card library
Mysoft

NDS loader / SoftReset

Post by Mysoft » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:12 pm

ok, i was trying initially to do a SoftReset in my homebrew using the SuperCard DSTWO, but so... then several problems happened, first the Reset code.. from DSTWO doesnt work well, and so they recommend to run the Reset2Desktop.nds

but how to do that?

i searched a lot and the best i could find was BootLib v1.3, that almost worked... but so as my when as the search pointed out... with some libfat update the _io_dldi reference changed... so i tried changing it to use _io_dldi_data instead... that compiled... but no dice, still no boot...

i even tried using system("Reset2Desktop.nds") but as expected it seems to always fail (do nothing?)... probabily because there isnt a simple unifited way to load another .nds file

but... so what direction should i take? i tried to look at moonshell code and YSboot... but i failed to understand how those works, or how can i make those into a .a that can be easy included into my projects.... because i'm doing something like a "Programmer Toolkit" for DS, and i wanted to be able to receive a file execute... then finish the .nds executing and go back to my program... and things like that to speed up some developing tasks... so any help is appreciated :)

vuurrobin

Re: NDS loader / SoftReset

Post by vuurrobin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:50 pm

system() executes its parameter on the command line. seeing as the ds doesn't have a command line (or an OS) that function is useless on ds.

letting homebrew return to the menu is really a job for the menu by implementing the exit to menu protocol (http://devkitpro.org/wiki/Homebrew_Menu ... u_Protocol). trying to do that in the homebrew is just not a good idea.

as for sending an .nds from the computer to the nds to run it, check out dslink (http://davejmurphy.com/new-version-of-dslink/). that should do what you want.

Mysoft

Re: NDS loader / SoftReset

Post by Mysoft » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:51 pm

ok, i will take a try, since i only have tried DSftp... that so far works great, despite of the limitation of DS wifi

but i will foresee one thing.... the program doesnt compress the file that he is sending to DS, which means it would be slower than mine...

but anyway i will keep up with my research since i really want that, to make my toolkit, my final goal is to make an IDE and so be able to code for DS on the DS itself... (actually DSi since i'm just doing that because of it :D)

but so thanks, anyway, and if someone else have something else to add, please DO! :)