Volunteering an R4i Platinum for hbmenu compatibility

Got something cool to help make the toolchains better? Post it here.
JaDorado

Volunteering an R4i Platinum for hbmenu compatibility

Post by JaDorado » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:17 pm

I bought a few R4i platinums hoping they would share the same firmware as the original R4, but I do not think this is so.

When using the R4 binaries for hbmenu the R4i Platinum freezes on 'Loading...'.

Since I have a few I will volunteer one with a reasonable guarantee of getting hbmenu to work on it. If this is WinterMute I know already where he lives. Sometime I will buy him that awkward Wii controller :lol:

If you don't need the card itself and just the R4i firmware, it's available here: http://www.r4iplat.com/download/r4.html

I didn't think it would be as easy as DLDI patching some files, but this is not my forte.

vuurrobin

Re: Volunteering an R4i Platinum for hbmenu compatibility

Post by vuurrobin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:15 pm

yea, I doubt that the dldi patch for the original r4 would work on r4i cards.

does the homebrewmenu work if you run it from the official r4i platinum firmware? if thats the case, then you just need to extract the dldi patch with the dldi patch extractor (http://forums.devkitpro.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1918) (not sure if there is a download for a prebuild version).

then you can just dldi patch the _DS_MENU.DAT from the homebrewmenu and put both _DS_MENU.DAT and _BOOT_DS.NDS from the homebrewmenu in the root of your microsd card. and that should do it.

edit: its possible that you need to run the dldi patch through r4denc so the dldi can be run from arm7.

btw, you wouldn't happen to be james from DSGM, would you?

JaDorado

Post by JaDorado » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:28 pm

No but I know him in person. He gave me the R4i carts. I don't know if he has figured it out, but I thought I would ask here. This stuff is probably not his forte either.

JaDorado

Post by JaDorado » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi,

I built dldiextractor and it worked great from the official r4i firmware, giving a DLDI file of 32, 768 bytes on the card root.

I used Chism's dlditool on the hbmenu provided _DS_MENU.DAT but it complained there was not a valid DLDI section in _DS_MENU.DAT. To fix this I took your advice and used r4dec which gave a _DS_MENU.DAT file of exactly the same size, but it no longer complained about no DLDI section.

However, dlditool now complains that the DLDI (.dldi) patch is broken, giving: "Invalid DLDI File" as the only error.

Here are my dldiextractor binary (nds), extracted DLDI file and _DS_MENU.DAT after r4dec. If you could assist, I would be really grateful: http://thinkforum.co.uk/shizzle