libfat port to Wii/GC

Discussion and project suggestions for the Google Summer of Code
svpe

libfat port to Wii/GC

Post by svpe » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:26 pm

hi,

I have read that you are searching someone to help porting libfat to GC/Wii. I have looked at the source code from you CVS today and I think that I'm able to port it.
The GC part should be pretty easy because i could reuse the code from libsdcard's card_io.c which doesn't seem to be buggy. I don't have a SD gecko though but I doubt that any testing is needed here because the IO_INTERFACE functions will be pretty simple.
The Wii part is probably more difficult because there is no full documentation about the internal SD slot yet. The people behind the twilight hack seem to know how to access the slot so I could probably ask them or just try to reverse the elf loader included in the savegame (i obviously prefer the first method because i hate powerpc assembler ;) ).

However, I won't be able to participate in the Google Summer of Code.

Sven

btw. I can't read and/or create threads in the libfat forum. Probably just some missing permission for normal users.

SvenRe

Re: libfat port to Wii/GC

Post by SvenRe » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:41 pm

Hi,

I'm a student and want to participate on google's summer of code this year.

I had a very similar project idea like yours, especially for the wii part.
Finding out how the SD card works shouldn't be too difficult.
I guess it can be accessed by EXI.

Maybe we could (inofficially) work together on that?

svpe

Re: libfat port to Wii/GC

Post by svpe » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:20 pm

I'm pretty much done with the libfat code for reading from the slot now. The SD slot is accessed using the IOS device node /dev/sdio/slot0 and some ioctl(v) requests.
I haven't tried to write data to the card yet but I think that should also be very easy now. I should be done with the port in one or two days :/