Maxmod conversion problem (inaccurrate .IT conversion)

support for the gba/nds sound library from www.maxmod.org

Moderator: eKid

nowhere

Maxmod conversion problem (inaccurrate .IT conversion)

Post by nowhere » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:04 am

Hi,

I've got this IT module (a few, tbh) that isn't being converted (or possibly played) quite right. The problem is an instrument sample being played at too high of a pitch. It's a multisampled piano, sampled at different octaves. When the higher octave plays, it's played at an additional octave higher.

It's been a while since I wrote it, but I believe I have it setup something like this: C-4 plays sample 1 at C-4, C-5 plays sample 2 at C-4, since sample 2 is a sample of C-5... so it seems like the sample is being played at the triggered pitch (C-5 = sounds like C-6), not the pitch that should be computed (C-4 = sounds like C-5).

MikMod and Impulse Tracker both play it fine, but I noticed that MilkyTracker has the same problem. I can work around it easily enough by halving the sample rate on the affected sample. Just thought you'd like to know.

BTW, Maxmod blows me away. I knew we were getting a music engine, but this is far more than I expected.

eKid

Re: Maxmod conversion problem (inaccurrate .IT conversion)

Post by eKid » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:21 am

Hm, interesting bug there. I made a quick test and couldn't get the error to reproduce. Could you upload one of the modules somewhere or e-mail one to [email protected] so I can check it out? Thanks.

nowhere

Post by nowhere » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:23 am

Sure, my dev/music box isn't connected for the time being, so I'll have to copy it when I get a chance. I'll do that soon.

nowhere

Post by nowhere » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:22 pm

Email sent.

eKid

Post by eKid » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:22 am

Thanks a lot! I see what I did now. The notemap code had a bug in it (forgot to set return value..). The fixed code is in CVS now.

nowhere

Post by nowhere » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:34 am

Thanks! I'm tickled to see this fixed so quickly--more than 50% of the .IT loaders I've used have a bug that does just this, so I'm used to seeing it.

I'm wondering: when reporting reproduction bugs, where should I draw the line? There are a few other situations I've noticed where reproduction isn't 100%, but a lot of them are based on improperly (or curiously) handled conditions in ST3's or IT's engines--I assume you don't want to get into 'emulating bugs', but what about extreme cases which were not bugs in the original, such as behaviour during extreme pitch slides? Personally I've used these for effect, but I wouldn't expect you to take responsibility for them. I'll happily provide examples for any cases you're interested in addressing though.

Anyway, thanks again.

eKid

Post by eKid » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:43 am

Yeah.. I don't really aim for 100% accuracy, but just enough to get any normal module working. Some of the rarely used effects aren't supported.. Extreme pitch slides should be OK, but when they hit the period limits I set they might sound a bit different than in the tracker.
Basically, I'm interested in fixing/supporting any module that doesn't sound right without doing anything 'crazy'. :)

nowhere

Post by nowhere » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:13 am

Cool, that's pretty much what I thought. I experimented with ST3 and IT a lot back then so I'm familiar with a lot of edge cases.