devkitPro creates Windows Command failures

support for the powerpc toolchain
jhb50

devkitPro creates Windows Command failures

Post by jhb50 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:37 pm

The devkitPro installer automatically changed my Windows path to the following: PATH=c:\devkitPro\msys\bin;C:\windows\system32;etc

Problem is that c:\devkitPro\msys\bin contains replacements for all of the standard DOS shell commands in C:\windows\system32 and now in my Windows Command prompt and all of my BAT files these commands are used instead and cause my BATS to fail. For Example the FIND command works differently in msys and so my BATS that use FIND to filter data now fail.

I think I have fixed this by removing this addition from the default path using "Control Panel/System/Advanced System Settings/Environment Variable/System Variables/path/Edit" and changing the devkitPro\msys\msys.bat to alter the path temporarily before calling devkitPro\msys.

Is there a better way of handling this? Why doesn't devkitPro set up its own local path when MSys is started, so it doesn't replace the existing Windows Commands when running the Windows Command Prompt? What is it that I don't know?

PS: I only installed PPC and I was led to believe it should also have added c:\devkitPro\devkitPPC\bin; to the path, but it did not. Perhaps someone can comment on that as well.

I am on W7-64 bit, and used devkitPPC to successfully compile WIIMC. Thanks for any Help IA.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: devkitPro creates Windows Command failures

Post by WinterMute » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:04 pm

The path is added by the installer because not everyone compiles from the msys shell and there are nearly as many programming editors as there are programmers. I'm really not sure how best to deal with this particular issue, it's not one that's been reported before so I can only assume that not many people make use of the commands in that directory.

It's not necessary to add the path to the msys bat file, msys already sets the path, that directory corresponds to /bin in the msys bash shell.

You were misinformed about the devkitPPC path. The devkitPro build system uses environment variables to set up the path for the appropriate toolset in order to avoid conflicts. Generally it's best to have only one cross toolchain in the path at a time.

Do you happen to know which commands conflict? Obviously they're not replacements or there wouldn't be a problem - they're actually unix commands.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

StevenH

Post by StevenH » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:11 pm

Why are you still using batch files in Windows 7?

Microsoft is starting to shift people away from batch files, and the command prompt to more GUI like features - .vbs / .js files as these can interface with the windows GUI better.

I'm on Windows 7 64bit, and I've not used batch files for anything since back in the dark days of GBA coding (Before WinterMute created his lovely makefile templates).

jhb50

Post by jhb50 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:29 am

Good point, but its what works for me, and what I know how to do. There have been so many other more important things to do that I've never gotten around to learning them. Maybe someday....