Plans to improve / expand the example apps in devkitPPC?

support for the powerpc toolchain
Ghost6765

Plans to improve / expand the example apps in devkitPPC?

Post by Ghost6765 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:38 am

What are the plans for the wii examples, libogc headers & devkiPPC stuff, what are you going to make better? I would like some more examples for the wii please, things like...

More graphics?
More functions to read the disc or something?
Some examples for RPG games(OR MORE GAMES BECAUSE I WOULD SAY THE EXAMPLES ARE ONLY DOING NON-GAME STUFF)?

Please take this in mind?

:idea:
:)

Ghost.

zeromus

Re: Plans to improve / expand the example apps in devkitPPC?

Post by zeromus » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:34 am

Users want cookie cutter examples. News at 11

Samson

Post by Samson » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:29 pm

Ghost6765 wrote: Some examples for RPG games(OR MORE GAMES BECAUSE I WOULD SAY THE EXAMPLES ARE ONLY DOING NON-GAME STUFF)?
The important code to include with a devkit are the technical / platform specific things. It is better to look at PC-based tutorials and open-source games to learn how to program games. If you're looking how to program a RPG (for example) you should look for an Open Source RPG or engine. And maybe read the rulebooks for a few pen & paper RPGs (D&D, Shadowrun, GURPS, etc.) so you understand the under-the-hood mechanics.
Or make a start with things like Game Maker, Multimedia Fusion or RPG Maker XP. All of them have free demos and are relatively cheap. They do all the groundwork so you can focus on getting your game off the ground. Or you could experiment with PyGame, which is slightly more low-level, but free.
Once you've got something working it should be a lot easier to plan a port to Wii or DS.

ccfreak2k

Post by ccfreak2k » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:12 am

I've ported several nehe GL tutorials to GX, and they're in the SVN repo if you wanted to check those out (they're in the GameCube examples section). As for other examples: just about any other programming tutorial will work as long as you're mindful of the limitations of the GameCube and Wii as well as libogc.