Is this a SDK for Wii ?

support for the powerpc toolchain
realtebo

Is this a SDK for Wii ?

Post by realtebo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:03 am

I landed here googling from a sort of wii sdk.

Is this the right place?

Where to start?

Izhido

Re: Is this a SDK for Wii ?

Post by Izhido » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:29 pm

Ah, if things were only that simple...

SHORT ANSWER:
No. But please read below.

LONG ANSWER:
First of all, this message was on the devkitARM section. It was moved to devkitPPC, since it matches more closely what it appears you wanted to do.

Now, it is true that the devkitPro suite of toolchains lets you build C/C++ homebrew apps that you can run on the Nintendo DS family of consoles, the Sony PSP, and yes, the Nintendo Wii... provided that you, first, have a console prepared for such things.

You will *not* be able to run your apps on a unmodified DS, PSP, or Wii. Have you heard about these guys with programs that "jailbreak" iPhones and other smartphones? It's roughly the same idea. You will need to, carefully, follow a specific set of instructions to "jailbreak" your Nintendo (or Sony) console in order to be able to run your apps. These instructions are all over the web, and are easy to google.

BE WARNED: Nintendo does not like that you "jailbreak" the consoles that they built, and thus, you *will* lose your warranty on any "jailbroken" gaming console (just like any other device in these circumstances). Also, you will want to be careful on when you apply official updates to your console, since Nintendo actively disables such modifications on regular updates.

Why do I say all of this? Because, in my opinion, the letters SDK (Software Development Kit) usually have a connotation that ties them with "official" software provided by the entity that built your hardware (Nintendo, or Sony, in this case). And, rest assured, *none* of these toolchains (devkitARM, devkitPPC, devkitPSP) are such a thing.

So, to resume: Yes, you can build Wii homebrew apps with devkitPPC. No, this is not an "official" SDK. And, if you're willing to do some "non-authorized" things to your gaming console, Yes, this is the place, and welcome to the devkitPro forums!

Hope it clears your doubts.

realtebo

Re: Is this a SDK for Wii ?

Post by realtebo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:55 pm

ALL of that was usefull, thanks.

This is really what I was looking for. I've already compiled first 4/5 .dol and all is working ...

My question was all about ARM / powerpc .. i didn't know what kind of HW was the WII.

Thanks again
Close.