memory management for a noob

Posts that don't fit in the other forums
DayTripperID

memory management for a noob

Post by DayTripperID » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:51 pm

Hello,

I've been messing around with devKitARM for a few months now and have been enjoying it immensely. However I'm a hobbyist programmer and self taught, and as such don't really understand all of the fundamentals of c++ programming. One of the areas I'm very weak in is memory management, which seems like a pretty important skill for programming on an embedded system like the DS. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions to good books or websites that cover this topic? I need all the help I can get. 8)

Dwedit

Re: memory management for a noob

Post by Dwedit » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:58 pm

The problem with this question is that "Memory Management" is a very broad term. It could refer to how RAM is physically allocated (static arrays vs malloc/new, or even allocating from areans), or how objects are assigned to each other. (Always Deep Copy, Reference Counting, or Garbage Collection).

DayTripperID

Post by DayTripperID » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:22 pm

You're right, and I suppose I meant it in a broad sense. I've been doing some research since creating this thread, and the consensus seems to be that hands on experience is how most professional programmers learn memory management techniques. I have found some good books on the subject on my own, enough to keep me busy for the next year or so.

MiguelSMinnich

Post by MiguelSMinnich » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:15 am

I think "the Garbage Collection Page " by Richard Jones is best for you, this book provides a well knowledge about the memory management.