Gentoo Linux User Looking For Advice

ZappingLinux

Gentoo Linux User Looking For Advice

Post by ZappingLinux » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Hey there!
I am new to the devkitpro community but I was told this was the best place to look if you want to get started developing GBA games. I am looking for people who have already tested this on their linux based systems because frankly the lack of documentation of or experience in running two separate package managers (pacman and portage in my case) on a single system comes to me as a red flag. So how does this work? Nobody in the Gentoo forums seems to have experience with using devkitpro either through pacman or manual compilation at all and I am worried I may screw up my system because of installing it. So if anyone can point me towards further information about how this is supposed to work that would be amazing! I am not trying to be condescending, I am just looking for people who have already tried this because I have learned to be rather cautious :)

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: Gentoo Linux User Looking For Advice

Post by WinterMute » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:57 am

Sorry to take so long getting to this. The instructions for obtaining pacman on gentoo were provided by an expert gentoo user which I hadn't personally tried but I do trust him to know what he's doing. I've recently set up a Gentoo VM to test which has been a bit of an arduous journey tbh, had some issues with keyservers amongst other things which are unrelated to our packages.

devkitPro provide a mostly self contained ecosystem under /opt/devkitpro, the packages we provide won't touch anywhere else with the exception of devkitenv which adds a script to set env variables to /etc/profile.d/ for bash. The standard configuration file installed through portage has no repositories set up by default so it won't be providing packages from elsewhere and certainly won't be managing system packages unless you set it up to do that.

If you're up for making contact on IRC I can try and walk you through this process if you're up for it. I could do with seeing how this pans out for a full time gentoo user and perhaps document the process better.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog