Error when trying to compile a GBA project.

Jontrium

Error when trying to compile a GBA project.

Post by Jontrium » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:39 am

Hello, my name is Jontrium and I'm new to GBA programming. So recently, I've been trying to compile this MusicTest project I found on an online tutorial [edit: link to bad tutorial removed]. But I keep getting the following error:

C:\Users\Jontrium>cd C:\Users\Jontrium\Desktop\MusicTest

C:\Users\Jontrium\Desktop\MusicTest>make
Makefile:16: c/devkitpro/ton-code/code/tonc_rules: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target 'c/devkitpro/ton-code/code/tonc_rules'. Stop.

C:\Users\Jontrium\Desktop\MusicTest>

The error message itself makes no sense to me since I do have the c/devkitpro/ton-code/code/tonc_rules directory.
If you know how to fix this please tell me how, I'll really appreciate it!
Cheers.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: Error when trying to compile a GBA project.

Post by WinterMute » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:18 am

Unfortunately the vast majority of tutorials you'll find on the internet are really quite bad and often provide instructions and/or advice which will break the tools.

For that reason I'm going to advise that you uninstall the tools & start over from scratch. Once you've done that then please ignore the video and the ebook you've found then reinstall the tools using the latest installer from https://github.com/devkitPro/installer/releases/latest

Currently we're looking at possibly replacing libgba with libtonc or merging the two libraries and replacing the current example code. Either way we've moved on a long way since many of the tutorials you'll find anywhere on the internet & unfortunately helping people undo the damage from those takes up rather a lot of our time so we've never really managed to produced decent tutorials of our own.

Currently the best doc on gba programming is tonc although even that is showing it's age now. I'm looking at redoing the sample code atm but that's going to take a while and I still need to figure out how to deal with libraries that can be used with both libtonc & libgba. We also have an editor in the works that's better than most, if not all of the usual options in most of these tutorials.

I've attached the example project reworked with a standard Makefile. Assuming downloading the file in your browser saves it to your Downloads older I recommend building this from an msys terminal rather than command as instructed previously. The easiest way to do this is to double click the msys2 icon in your start menu under devkitPro which should drop you in your home folder then run the following commands :-

Code: Select all

pacman -S unzip
mkdir -p projects/gba
cd projects/gba
unzip ~/Downloads/libtonc-musictest.zip
cd MusicTest
make
Attachments
libtonc-musictest.zip
libtonc+maxmod using proper template.
(97.58 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today