Questions about SDL and Joystick/sound

protomank

Questions about SDL and Joystick/sound

Post by protomank » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:36 pm

Hello, I have a game that uses SDL and I ported it to DS with partial success, but I have two problems that I need help to solve.

1. Not only SDL_mixer does not work, but when I try to use maxmod in my code, I get freeze when updating the stream. Looking at both SDL and maxmod sources, it seemed like an interrupt conflict between them.

2. keyDown just do not work (rarely sets a key as been pressed), and in keyHeld I have the following problem: pressing left + a button do not activate the KEY_A the first time, only the second. This do not happens for RIGHT and DOWN.

So, I wish someone could step in and fix the SDL port for Nintendo DS, but as I believe no one have the interest, I'm willing to give a try, but I need directions and guidance to do so, as I do not know libnds nor have time to learn it in deep.
Is there anyone willing to use or using SDL with the DS nowadays besides me? Am I loosing my time to try to fix it?
Any hints of what may cause those problems, and where should I look?

Thanks in advance.

protomank

Re: Questions about SDL and Joystick/sound

Post by protomank » Sat May 01, 2010 4:32 pm

No one can help me on this one?
Fixing SDL would benefit a LOT of people.... I just need a hint of what can be causing this problem to follow... :-(

EDIT: Another information: In emulator (desmume), there are fewer problems, most keys work (even with a USB joystick), in real hardware, the same binary, do not return any keys besides R.

zeromus

Post by zeromus » Sat May 01, 2010 6:41 pm

It will take you less time to learn libnds than to fix sdl and/or wait for someone to feel like fixing sdl. seriously. libnds has a similar level api philosophy as sdl, it should not be very hard. If you can use sdl, you can use libnds.

protomank

Post by protomank » Sat May 01, 2010 6:47 pm

Yes, I think the best solition, in the long term, is to simply port the game to libnds in the end.
Problem is that I have no time, so I'll simply drop the DS port, and keep the SDL one just for internal testing (better to see graphics).
Maybe in when my game is complete, and I have the will, I'll port to DS, or simply buy a PSP or a GP32X portable.

zeromus

Post by zeromus » Sun May 02, 2010 6:09 am

It's probably for the best anyway. The odds of you just slapping it on the ds via sdl and getting good results are probably not very high. It would take a lot of love to make it worth the trouble--far more love than it would take to get ramped up on libnds.