Makefile

dheart88

Makefile

Post by dheart88 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:02 pm

I'm a student and currently, I'm making a DS game as my final project.

Where can I get the complete learning resource about makefile? For a while, I still don't get much problem but later, I have to put information about makefile in my final project report.

vuurrobin

Re: Makefile

Post by vuurrobin » Thu May 13, 2010 4:24 pm

you probably want the gnu make manual:
http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html

although the Build System page on the devkitPro wiki is also worth a look:
http://wiki.devkitpro.org/index.php/Build_System

GSGeek

Post by GSGeek » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:24 pm

Hello,

I've just completed an NDS development project as a term project for a course in Real-Time System Design and I found that there is a lot more happening in an NDS Makefile than what's done for an average, run-of-the-mill entreprise PC app:

a) The makefile does the usual compiling and linking passes, although it has to do it to produce two executable files: one for the ARM7 and on for the ARM9 processor.

b) The makefile does the necessary data crunching to bitmap files (backdrops, sprites, etc.) so they are linked in the object file for fast drawing at run time.

c) The makefiles wraps up all the binary, icon file and application infos into a neat app.nds file which is easy to copy to a slot-0 cart.

That's the big picture about it: there is a lot happening in a single makefile. I still haven't got into the details.

Enjoy the Makefile - it's powerful! :)

dheart88

Post by dheart88 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:14 am

Thx.. my makefile is complete now...

ShotgunNinja

Post by ShotgunNinja » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:04 pm

Sweet! I'd like to see your project when it's finished/near-finished. I'm planning on doing the same thing for my senior proj.