Adobe to port Flash Player to ARM

haruspex

Adobe to port Flash Player to ARM

Post by haruspex » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:49 pm

You can read the full article on Ars Technica here:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... -port.html

Any thoughts on how this may affect the DS community? "Adobe is specifically aiming at ARMv6 and ARMv7." So will homebrew developers be able to leverage the ARM7 in the DS for use with the Adobe port? Would libnds help make this a possibility for the average developer? Of course it is too early to answer any of these questions for certain, but this is an interesting article and possibly worth some speculation and discussion.

Browsing YouTube on the DS for kicks, anyone?

Legolas

Re: Adobe to port Flash Player to ARM

Post by Legolas » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:32 pm

You are mixing different things: ARMv7 is the architecture version, ARM7 is the family version.
The ARM7 cpu is based on ARMv4t architecture and the ARM9 is based on ARMv5TE architecture. You can get more infos on wikipedia

haruspex

Re: Adobe to port Flash Player to ARM

Post by haruspex » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:16 pm

I appreciate you differentiating those for me, Legolas. I will do further research.

So it seems Adobe is focused on the ARM11 and the Cortex. The DS, with its relatively slow internet connection and limited RAM would have quite a bit of trouble running standard flash applications. Even with a RAM expansion pack, quality support would be very limited.

I did not think this through when I first posted. My apologies for wasting your time.