My game crashes using a mod file and JPGs

PacoChan

My game crashes using a mod file and JPGs

Post by PacoChan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:30 am

Hi, everyone.

I'm doing a graphic adventure, and I did a function that loads a bunch of JPGs sequentially using gba-jpeg lib, so it plays like a video. Until now, I've used some wavs with maxmod and everything worked fine. But now I added a mod too, and now the game crashes when it tries to decompress a JPG, even if I don't load the mod.

Maybe the soundbank with the mod is overwriting the memory area where the JPGs are decompressed or something like that? I don't know how to solve it if that's the case.

I'm using JPGs because I want that the images are very compressed, because they wouldnt fit in the 4mb limit of the rom. And using NitroFS isn't compatible with some flashcards, right?

Anyway, I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: Nevermind, It was because I removed a line of code that I shouldn't have removed.

I'm still interested in using a filesystem, but I want my game to be compatible with most of the flashcards out there. What would be the best method for compatibility?

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: My game crashes using a mod file and JPGs

Post by WinterMute » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:56 pm

Forget about making your game "compatible" with most or all flashcarts, use fsnitro from libfilesystem and inform your users that their card menu is the problem if it fails.

http://wiki.devkitpro.org/index.php/Homebrew_Menu
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

ShotgunNinja

Post by ShotgunNinja » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:05 pm

Sweet! Don't you love being able to put the blame on the end-user for the program not functioning correctly? I know I do. :roll:

zeromus

Post by zeromus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:49 pm

I can't stand it when end-users complain about being color blind, or not having fingers. As a consequence, I only make monochromatic, voice-driven games, so that I spend my energy forgiving the users' flaws.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:25 pm

ShotgunNinja wrote:Sweet! Don't you love being able to put the blame on the end-user for the program not functioning correctly? I know I do. :roll:
Read the post again, follow the link, think.

What has the card menu not supporting well defined protocols designed to avoid compatibility issues have to do with the end user?
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

zeromus

Post by zeromus » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:43 am

The part where the end user has to buy a new card to play the game. Apparently this is the developer's problem and not the problem of the end user who has purchased an ill-supported lemon.

vuurrobin

Post by vuurrobin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:32 pm

people don't need to buy a new card, they can use the homebrewmenu. unless the card doesn't support dldi...