[newbie] Have idea planned out, is it workable?

zeromus
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:05 pm

Re: [newbie] Have idea planned out, is it workable?

Post by zeromus » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:32 pm

no, it looked flawless. i'm sorry you can't tell the difference.

you know i picked an ugly tile for a reason, right? those stripes would get off by one color and get messed up as you look across the image from left to right if there was a tiny math error--which is what would make actual art look ugly. if you want to see why, change REG_BG3X to 0 or some other value or REG_BG3PA to 342

if the compiler doesnt want to convert 'void*' to 'short unsigned int*' then do it yourself

unsigned short *Pal0 = (unsigned short*)malloc( 16 * sizeof(unsigned short) );
unsigned short *Pal1 = (unsigned short*)malloc( 16 * sizeof(unsigned short) );
unsigned short *Pal2 = (unsigned short*)malloc( 16 * sizeof(unsigned short) );
unsigned short *Pal3 = (unsigned short*)malloc( 16 * sizeof(unsigned short) );
unsigned short *Pal4 = (unsigned short*)malloc( 16 * sizeof(unsigned short) );

relminator uses C for no good reason and you're using c++ so there are subtle differences.

fcg
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Re: [newbie] Have idea planned out, is it workable?

Post by fcg » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:09 pm

zeromus wrote:no, it looked flawless. i'm sorry you can't tell the difference.

you know i picked an ugly tile for a reason, right? those stripes would get off by one color and get messed up as you look across the image from left to right if there was a tiny math error--which is what would make actual art look ugly. if you want to see why, change REG_BG3X to 0 or some other value or REG_BG3PA to 342
I assumed you did, but grasping why is way out of my league atm. I actually created a piece of actual art, and then it looked ugly. But changing REG_BG3PA to 342 made it look nice. Thanks. (I realize more and more that I need to understand the maths of an affine transformation matrix.)
zeromus wrote:if the compiler doesnt want to convert 'void*' to 'short unsigned int*' then do it yourself

unsigned short *Pal0 = (unsigned short*)malloc( 16 * sizeof(unsigned short) );
unsigned short *Pal1 = (unsigned short*)malloc( 16 * sizeof(unsigned short) );
unsigned short *Pal2 = (unsigned short*)malloc( 16 * sizeof(unsigned short) );
unsigned short *Pal3 = (unsigned short*)malloc( 16 * sizeof(unsigned short) );
unsigned short *Pal4 = (unsigned short*)malloc( 16 * sizeof(unsigned short) );

relminator uses C for no good reason and you're using c++ so there are subtle differences.
Well, I just assumed relminator used c++, but changing the filename to *.c made it work. (Yes I am that newbie.)

/fcg

zeromus
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:05 pm

Re: [newbie] Have idea planned out, is it workable?

Post by zeromus » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:58 pm

did you put the black lines in it like you were supposed to? i'd be interested in seeing your demo zipped up if there were problems with it. according to my studies 342 should not have worked...

fcg
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Re: [newbie] Have idea planned out, is it workable?

Post by fcg » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:39 am

zeromus wrote:did you put the black lines in it like you were supposed to? i'd be interested in seeing your demo zipped up if there were problems with it. according to my studies 342 should not have worked...
Probably not, I used this tile: Image

and changing the value of REG_BG3PA to 342 made it look really nice, not setting any values for REG_BG3PX or REG_BG3X kept the form but without AA.

Here is the zip:
8x8_to_affine_6x6_bead_tile.zip
just make it
(3.96 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
/fcg
Attachments
tile.png
bead tile
(202 Bytes) Not downloaded yet

zeromus
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:05 pm

Re: [newbie] Have idea planned out, is it workable?

Post by zeromus » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:29 am

youre so very confused. in your case "looks nice" is a completely subjective evaluation of the way that the hardware manages to glitchily crunch that one tile down into 6x6. If you use any other tile, you wont think the results look so nice.

if you do it my way, and follow the rule of leaving blank lines, then your art will look 100% predictable and CORRECT, no matter what you do with it.

not to mention, there is a glitch in the leftmost column of your demo.

i've attached how it should be done my way

and what is AA?
Attachments
8x8_to_affine_6x6.zip
(38.99 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

fcg
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Re: [newbie] Have idea planned out, is it workable?

Post by fcg » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:45 am

zeromus wrote:youre so very confused.


I know, hopefully by Halloween 2011 I wont be as confused. It really is great that you (as in you and everyone else here that has been helpful) take your time to help me out, even though it might seem useless.
zeromus wrote:in your case "looks nice" is a completely subjective evaluation of the way that the hardware manages to glitchily crunch that one tile down into 6x6. If you use any other tile, you wont think the results look so nice.

if you do it my way, and follow the rule of leaving blank lines, then your art will look 100% predictable and CORRECT, no matter what you do with it.
This is fantastic, now I just have to figure out why - and I understand if you have an urge to tell me, but please let me at least try to figure it out myself.
zeromus wrote:not to mention, there is a glitch in the leftmost column of your demo.
True, I just thought that to be acceptable, my bad.
zeromus wrote:and what is AA?
Another mistake I made, AA = anti-alias(ed), but looking closely I see that there is no AA, just my mind playing tricks on me.

/fcg

[Edit] This project is on hold until I understand more of what I need to do, thanks for your time and effort so far - it will be needed again :D
Some good things:
  • Noone said the idea was impossible or flat out bad
  • I realize there is so much information to digest that I can't do it all at once
  • I have decided on a path that I hope will assist other newbies in the future

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest