Beginner with something in mind.

Sterling

Beginner with something in mind.

Post by Sterling » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:42 am

Alright, I'm pretty much self taught in c++ and vb.net. I took some classes in high school, and I got hooked or programming. Recently I came into ownership of more free time, so I decided to pick up NDS programming again. Here is my plight, what I'm working towards is a basic text editor, but what I have in mind is a fully operational text editor. You see, I'm a good writer, and I get a lot of inspiration when I'm not in front of my computer. So to date, the text editors I have seen have either been too bloated, too lightweight, or unresponsive. I have a desire to correct this, but I'm still a beginner at this.

Base Flow --

Startup

File system initialization

Asks to open a file

Open

Edit with on screen keyboard

Save

Loops back to open file

--

I'm a bit confused on how to initialize FAT, I see an example, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm also fairly sure that the default C++ filestream methods are what I use to save files and open. I've also got the on screen keyboard mapped to a specific button combo. Which, I would actually like to use button combos to save files, and keep the touch screen as uncluttered as possible.

As soon as I get the basic function worked out, what I would like to start adding is hand writing recognizability (Such as PAlib), and skinnable and customizable keyboards. Another sweeping view I have is a fully functional image editor, and sketch pad for the on the go writers who also illustrate.

I'm not asking for too much help, I need some pointers and advice on how to get started, and perhaps some feedback on the idea itself.

lazyprogramer

Re: Beginner with something in mind.

Post by lazyprogramer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Asks to open a file
What did you mean in this part? Should your app try to open a file...?

Jordan_Gray

Post by Jordan_Gray » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:03 am

hmm, this is an interesting project. Definitely watching this thread.

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:13 pm

lazyprogramer wrote:
Asks to open a file
What did you mean in this part? Should your app try to open a file...?
Yes. Not at this stage though. All that I'm trying to do right now is get basic saving and editing done. I think for testing purposes, a static file name will be good for now. However, I wish to implement a basic file browser and user config files for default directories and such.