dsdoom source

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: dsdoom source

Post by WinterMute » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Eveybody thinks their code is awful, it doesn't necessarily make it so - if nothing else even bad code can provide inspiration for some better code.

Hmm, so you removed the scaling by setting the screen size lower in DS Doom then? I assume you did that by using the scroll registers to position the screen?

What's the issue with using argv files? That way you can get access to all the command line arguments prboom can use, coding a WAD selector in DS Doom itself seems like a lot of work for no really useful purpose.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

Asaki

Post by Asaki » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:54 pm

WinterMute wrote:Eveybody thinks their code is awful, it doesn't necessarily make it so...
No, it's bad. I'm not much of a programmer, I mostly just copy'n'paste and/or change numbers around until it works.

I've been testing stuff in the PC version first, and then porting it over, to save having to keep swapping in and out my SD card...but my green/blue blood code works fine on PC, but on the DS, freezes right after M_Init =/
WinterMute wrote:Hmm, so you removed the scaling by setting the screen size lower in DS Doom then? I assume you did that by using the scroll registers to position the screen?
I might be misunderstanding you, but no. I turned off the scaling so it renders the game at the 1:1 default 320x200 (so it crops 32 pixels off each side, and 8 off the bottom), and then I go into the options (in-game) and change the view size to be smaller (like we had to do back in the pre-Pentium Pro days).

Then I just have to adjust all the graphics/text to fit the 256 width (see previous posted screenshot).
WinterMute wrote:What's the issue with using argv files?
It just doesn't do it for me. I don't need to use any of the other command args, I'd rather just have a "select your IWAD (maybe pWADs too?)" menu at startup, like ZDOOM does (as long as you don't accidentally click on "don't show this again").

Astonov

Post by Astonov » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:25 am

Is this project still active? I am really interested in testing it.
Also, registered here just to ask about this matter.

Xtremess

Post by Xtremess » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:28 pm

does anyone still have a copy of this port? the links are obviously broken and the fact that this "ds chocdoom" has music is a really exciting. :mrgreen: