How is "saving" supposed to be done?

Tenry

How is "saving" supposed to be done?

Post by Tenry » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:33 pm

How should I do saving? Do I have to use the filesystem, where I also could create several save files, or is there another way supposed to use?

zeromus

Re: How is "saving" supposed to be done?

Post by zeromus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:20 pm

you have to use the filesystem. i dont think theres any best practices. someone else will have to tell you what theyve actually done, but personally I would just write a unique filename to the root of the fat

vuurrobin

Post by vuurrobin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:27 pm

using the filesystem is the only good way for creating savefiles. a sortof best practice is to store your savefile in /DATA/yourgame/ so that the root doesn't get cluttered up, but sadly few people follow that.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:02 pm

With an argv supporting card menu the working directory will be set to the directory containing the nds file and argv[0] will be set to the full path & filename of your nds file. Best practice would be to write your savefiles to this directory rather than using absolute paths.

Of course people will argue that this won't work with cards that don't support argv which I say is a reason to complain to the card manufacturer until they implement argv support. Most modern flashcards do support argv though.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog