any way to make more use of space?/improve drawing distance?

mtheall

Re: any way to make more use of space?/improve drawing dista

Post by mtheall » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:11 am

I guess I had a misunderstanding from the documentation. It appeared as if it was implying that texture slots 2 and 3 were dedicated for the clear image bitmap and depth data. After doing an in-depth review of the 3D Engine (specifically the texture engine), I see that slots 2 and 3 are only used for this purpose if you enable GL_CLEAR_BMP. I apologize for providing incorrect information. I never seem to cease learning new things when it comes to the NDS hardware.

Discostew

Post by Discostew » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:59 am

Banks C and D can be used for the rear-plane image, but it isn't restricted to it. It's just identified as those banks are the only ones that can have that set up, much like how the combination of A, B, and C can be used for compressed textures, but not bank D.

mtheall

Post by mtheall » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:46 pm

That's interesting, because I could not find anything that states those restrictions. From what I understand, you can map VRAM Banks A-D as Texture Slots 0-3 in any combination you want (e.g. Bank A can be Slot 1, Bank B Slot 3, Bank C Slot 2, Bank D Slot 0 if you want), and that rear-plane bitmap/depth can be a function of Slots 2/3, respectively. Additionally, compressed textures are tied to Slots 0/2 for image data and Slot 1 for palette index data. That is to say, texture functionalities are tied to texture slots, not the VRAM Banks that host them.

So, it would be nice if someone could clarify this discrepancy for me.

zeromus

Post by zeromus » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:41 pm

dont you think thats what he meant? it is not typical to consider the case that the banks A-D may be mapped to something other than slots 1-4

mtheall

Post by mtheall » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:51 pm

I just wanted to make sure my understanding was correct.

t377y000

Post by t377y000 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:29 am

sorry took so long to reply
thanks @zeromus:
i tested out the the gluPerspective() & it worked for changing the drawing distance.

& yes i have been using the NDS_Model_Exporter so far to convert 64x64 textures to 16-bit nintendo ds textures, & everything you see on sandbox engine ds-dsi. using vram banks A,B,C, & D. i was using nitro engine.
now im trying to use straight devkitpro & libnds because that seems more open currently working on converting everything over.
anyone nkow if its possible to load models, textures, ect from a seperate main file?

zeromus

Post by zeromus » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:04 am

I dont know what a separate main file are. If youre asking if you can load "nitro-engine" files without all the associated machinery of nitro-engine, that sounds rather unlikely, doesn't it? You may have to do quite a bit of picking-apart of nitro-engine if thats the case.

t377y000

Post by t377y000 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:38 am

sorry i misphreased that i meant like, use more than one source file like for instance.
main.cpp, weapons.cpp, maps.cpp. sprites.cpp, backgrounds.cpp, ect
nvm tho, its not really that important, i saw someone do it before & was wondering if it was easier.
im trying to do it in devkitARM/libnds(without nitro engine)