Ds wifi issue

roelforg

Ds wifi issue

Post by roelforg » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Well,
For some reason my ds (original one) refuses to connect to my 802.11bgn router.
Why could this be?
I never changed firmware on it and it only has an r4ds revo card to play my homebrew.
Why is this???
We all ask nooby questions every once in a while.
Nobody's perfect, we all need help every once in a while.
Our questions might sound stupid to people but then, so do their's to us.
So please, think before calling someone you don't know a noob.

roelforg

Re: Ds wifi issue

Post by roelforg » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:26 pm

Why is this in the wrong place?
The problem has nothing to do with dswifi, only with my ds's wifi.
Even actual (original) ds games can't connect to my router.
But there seem to be many experts here so i figured, maybe someone here knows it.
Please tell me why this was moved?
I mentioned the r4ds revo because i've heared that people flash their ds to run homebrew, i just wanna say that i didn't and am still using the original firmware.

mtheall

Post by mtheall » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:36 pm

This can be any number of issues:

1. Are you using encryption? DS phat and DS lite only work with WEP encryption if you are using it.
2. Is the SSID hidden? I've had trouble connecting to hidden SSID's before, and un-hiding it fixes the problem.
3. Does your router cache DHCP assignments? My router does and it won't let me connect my 3DS in DS mode because it thinks it already assigned the address to me, so it won't bother assigning a new one. I fixed this by giving my DS a static address tied to its MAC address.
4. Is your router in mixed mode (b+g or b+g+n, etc)? I've had trouble on routers before with this and resolved it by switching to b+g only. Less commonly I had to switch to b-only.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but these may be good first steps. I may think of more things. It may be useful to provide a specific error code that you get when you do "Test Connection" in the NDS Wifi setup on retail games, which reminds me:

0. Did you set up wifi in the NDS Wifi Setup from a retail game and perform "Test Connection"?

roelforg

Post by roelforg » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:22 am

I'll answer in the same order:
1. no, i have other devices on the thing which don't support encryption :mrgreen:
2. no, never did
3. not sure, i'll come back on that one once i find out my ds's mac addr ( :oops: btw how do you find that? :oops: )
4. it think so, but i'm not gonna disable it, i've got 1 laptop and 1 phone using 802.11n (great speed, downloads 700mb iso in 5 min! :shock: ), 2 laptop's (they're 5 years old) 802.11g/b and 3 desktops linked using cable to the router.
It's a sitecom wl312 b/g/n router, i only changed a few settings to give one pc a static ip and forward 2 ports so i can access the pc by remote control, all other settings are as the router set them on its own.

5. yes i tried from a retail game, got the same result. That's why i posted this in off-topic, as it has nothing to do with the ds wifi lib, but with my ds's wifi.

It isn't a broken ds wifi chip, it works fine with my old router (although the routers wan port is broken, that's why i bought a new one).
If i hook my desktops 2e network card up to the router, and run an edited version of the wifi sample (so it uses a server on my pc) it works fine.
btw. I have a phat ds, never updated/flashed. The hinge of the top screen is half broken (it fell once and landed wrong) but it stil works so no problem.

mtheall

Post by mtheall » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:31 pm

I don't know if you understood what I was saying for the last item, since you didn't provide an error code. Since you appear to have another router that your DS can successfully connect to, the only workaround I can think of (which has worked for me in the past) is to connect the router with the broken WAN port to the router which works via ethernet (just connect one of the ports that is not WAN). Then disable DHCP on the broken WAN router, and whatever devices connect to that router will get DHCP from the router with the working WAN.

Otherwise, since you can't get it to work with a retail game, you should be going to Nintendo support, not us. If it worked on a retail game but not homebrew, then it would be a different story.

roelforg

Post by roelforg » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:20 am

I have rigged my old routee to a pc with2network cards and fixed it.