Shining Force 2 Tribute - Developed with devkitARM - HELP !!

sverx

Re: Shining Force 2 Tribute - Developed with devkitARM - HEL

Post by sverx » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:42 pm

I see Thmp3 is using Helix library, so maybe you can drop Thmp3 and use Helix 'directly', there is an ongoing discussion on forum.gbadev.org with an example mp3 playback

mtheall

Post by mtheall » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:35 pm

SoundPlayerDS and FeOSMusic both use Helix directly for mp3 playback. Just note that Helix uses the RealNetworks Public Source License, so make sure Ubisoft Brazil is okay with this before using it (since you're negotiating with them). Since Thmp3 uses Helix, this will need to be addressed anyway.

mtheall

Post by mtheall » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:40 pm

By the way, as far as I understand, if your negotiations with Ubisoft Brazil go through, it's very likely that you'll have to port the whole project to use the official Nintendo SDK. There is a "verification" process that your game must pass, and directly using the hardware registers (like what happens with libnds) will make your game fail.

elhobbs

Post by elhobbs » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:31 pm

mtheall wrote:SoundPlayerDS and FeOSMusic both use Helix directly for mp3 playback. Just note that Helix uses the RealNetworks Public Source License, so make sure Ubisoft Brazil is okay with this before using it (since you're negotiating with them). Since Thmp3 uses Helix, this will need to be addressed anyway.
not that it is better or worse, but the mp3 sample on gbadev has the mp3 decode taking place on the arm7.

mtheall

Post by mtheall » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:00 pm

You cannot write arm7 code with the Nintendo SDK

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:21 pm

Writing directly to hardware registers is fine with the official SDK, custom arm7 code isn't. Nintendo won't pass anything written using devkitARM/libnds although I've heard that some licensed devs have successfully used devkitARM with the official SDK libs.

If you're planning on a commercial DS release of this game then you're wasting your time with thlib.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

renatobs

Post by renatobs » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:24 am

elhobbs wrote:What specifically do you want me to help with? Thmp3 could be updated. But the rest needs to be replaced with libnds code in the main project.
Thmp3. Could you update this ? Could you make the THLIB work with the new libnds ? Only the code that are need to mp3 player works...

sverx

Post by sverx » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:32 am

It might sound like a stupid question but... why are you upgrading your dkA/libnds if this requires you to modify/change your working libraries? I mean... if you plan on switching to official SDK, I would keep my working SDK, no matter if it's old... :roll:

renatobs

Post by renatobs » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:36 pm

Cuz there is a bug with thMP3 that is getting full memory and sometimes frezzing the game...

renatobs

Post by renatobs » Fri May 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi. Have a long time since the last post. The demo of "Shining Force 2 Tribute" is avaliable on net since 2012. But I´d like to improve this old project, getting it to nowldays libnds and cuz of it I still need help to port all the mp3 code. Someone could help with this ? Thanks...

About:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ63P35Bl24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNxUWqZVI3A&t=47s