Slide Adventure Slot-2 Optical Mouse attachment

LocalToast

Slide Adventure Slot-2 Optical Mouse attachment

Post by LocalToast » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:28 pm

Hello! I've always had an interest in DS homebrew for as long as I can remember (at least 4 or 5 years) but never had the technical ability to actually experiment on my own. Now with a basic C course under my belt as well as a few electrical engineering courses (DC circuits, digital systems), I feel like I might be able to grasp it a little better.

The project of interest to me right now is this device: Image

Basically, it's an optical mouse sensor that communicates with the Slot-2 port, bundled with the Japanese game Slide Adventure: Mag Kid.

I know this is a pretty broad question, but seeing as there is support for other attachments such as the guitar grip and keyboard, how plausible would it be to make a library that supports this attachment as well? I recognize that it's not as easy as writing a few lines that look good, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be glad to check out your suggestions!

My idea is to create an external mouse that uses the hardware from this device but is not restricted to the confines of sitting beneath the DS. I opened up the peripheral and it should be very easy to put the optical sensor in the chassis of an old mouse and just extend the cable that communicates between the sensor and the Slot-2 attachment. Seems goofy but it's something I found interesting. :)