Display Lists

Sir Alaran

Display Lists

Post by Sir Alaran » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:45 am

I noticed that in the example programs the models are stored as .bin files and then used through glCallList. How were these files generated?

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: Display Lists

Post by WinterMute » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:35 am

Sorry to take so long getting to this, it's been a busy couple of weeks.

The models were exported using custom plugins for proprietary tools like 3DS Max and Maya. Unfortunately it's not permissable to distribute these and we did plan to eventually find something we could distribute but still haven't found the time to do it. Ideally we're looking for a command line based tool that will fit into the build system so that the source models can be distributed with the examples rather than the final conversions much like we've done with the image files and grit.

I know that you've created your own Blender export plugin which writes C files - this is one way to approach things but, for the purposes of example code, I much prefer to allow for original source data to be distributed. Having a build system where you can edit models, images or whatever other data you may need in place and have make do the donkey work is generally the best way to handle these things.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog