arm7 sound code: what's missing?

nczempin

arm7 sound code: what's missing?

Post by nczempin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:33 pm

I'm working on an app to let the DS be used as a (sound) synthesizer.

Initially, it will go along the lines of a classic subtractive synth, where you can select a waveform (sine, saw, square), a frequency, an ADSR envelope, a low-pass filter and a high-pass filter via some kind of (touchpen) interface, and trigger a note via a button.

There will be lots of extensions of course; multiple channels, MIDI triggering (internally; later via DSMI), Arpeggiator, LFOs, Noise, free-form wavetables. Even later I can add other forms of synthesis, although for now my medium-term goal is to make a "retro analog" style synth.

I'm already spending most of the time in that code on the ARM7 side of things.

Since a need has been declared to improve the current default ARM7 code, especially in the realm of sound, I would like to know whether any "synergies" can be found; whether it would make sense for me to keep a more general library use in mind.

For that I would have to know more about the ways in which the current model is deemed to be lacking for the anticipated use. For now it seems adequate for simple game-related stuff: triggering individual samples, the next free channel allocated, no PSG used, ...

What are the most pressing needs in the sound arena for libnds? More abstraction? More features?

almosthuman

Re: arm7 sound code: what's missing?

Post by almosthuman » Mon May 05, 2008 6:03 pm

Really all we need is streaming sound.