libn3ds?

habstinat

libn3ds?

Post by habstinat » Mon May 13, 2013 4:25 am

As many of you probably know, yellows8 and crew have discovered a kernel exploit that works in older 3DS firmwares (4.5.0-10 and lower) through a custom save game file in a so-far-unknown retail game (see <http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-3ds ... on.340296/> for details).

However, it hasn't been released yet. For some reason, now the only thing that is holding those that know about the exploit from releasing it to the public is lack of a library:

Code: Select all

20:09 < Muzer> yeah, I also want 3DS homebrew. I've gleaned from conversations with yellows8 that they're waiting for a library to be made to release any exploits. I'm not sure who (if anyone) is making a library.
23:03 < habstinat> Can a library even be made without an exploit? What is yellows8 looking for; just a libnds equivalent or devkitPro as well?
23:04 <@yellows8> "just a libnds equivalent" yeah
Above was from #3dsdev on EFnet earlier today.

My questions are similar to those mentioned in my IRC question --

1. Can a 3DS library be developed without an exploit?
2. Has anybody tried to make a library for the 3DS yet, or at least done research on it?
3. What is stopping a 3DS library from being made?

Thanks for any responses.

sverx

Re: libn3ds?

Post by sverx » Thu May 16, 2013 12:15 pm

AFAIK, to develop a library you should at least have enough knowledge on the hardware internals.
AFAIK (and if I'm wrong I'd like to read some details...) there's still no such knowledge. (well, we know there's an ARM11 and a PICA200 etc etc but we still don't know which hardware registers to point to...)
... or is there some sort of 'GBATek' for 3DS? :?

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Sat May 18, 2013 10:17 pm

Holding back an exploit because of the lack of a library seems rather silly to me. OK, not that many people are going to be able to get much going without one but the more people who have access to the ability to run code the sooner we'll actually see a library start to develop.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

sverx

Post by sverx » Fri May 24, 2013 2:17 pm

WM: I hope at least they gave you that possibility. If you start developing the 'lib3ds', I'm sure many will happily help (I would!)

Izhido

Post by Izhido » Sat May 25, 2013 1:07 am

There's something I would very much want to understand about all of this:

How can anyone start developing a lib for 3DS, if the exploit is not available yet?

How would you know what features to implement, that depend on things that the exploit makes available only on a specific way (probably), if we do not know such details?

How could we even test such an implementation, without a fully working exploit that lets us test on hardware ?

Ideas, anyone?