Old Homebrew Project (NDS)

Robin

Old Homebrew Project (NDS)

Post by Robin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi there. I'm new here and looking for some help.

I have the source code for an old (2008) homebrew project for NDS here: https://github.com/clone45/cellsds

I want to make a tiny tweak in one of the source files and then recompile, and I’m pretty determined to get it working.

It’s written for devkitARM r11 (which I can’t find anywhere), and PAlib (which I know is scorned).
Also, I do not “speak” C++ or Makefile, although I can compile simple examples with an up-to-date DKP and template.

Assuming that I am willing to go to considerable lengths to make this work (for example putting it as a paid project on Elancer),

1) How high do you consider my chances of success?
2) Can anyone here help me with this?

elhobbs

Re: Old Homebrew Project (NDS)

Post by elhobbs » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:52 am

Palib is shunned for a reason. It requires old versions of devkitpro toolchains and libraries and the tend to mess with the libraries and break stuff. So you would need to ditch palib and replace that functionality using current toolchains and libraries. It sounds like a considerable amount of work. Since you do not know c++ it sounds a pretty steep hill to climb.

sverx

Post by sverx » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:18 pm

IF you've got the devkit+libraries from that very same era (which means you can actually compile your sources with these with no problems) - then you're almost done, you just have to make that tiny tweak and recompile.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:44 pm

sverx wrote:IF you've got the devkit+libraries from that very same era (which means you can actually compile your sources with these with no problems) - then you're almost done, you just have to make that tiny tweak and recompile.
I really wish people wouldn't encourage this sort of thing. It just ends up with people distributing broken toolchains with their old broken projects.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

sverx

Post by sverx » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:07 pm

Sorry pal, I just meant to help. :cry:
Given he just needed to make a small tweak, I still think my suggestion is the best approach. :P
(but, ok, he shouldn't distribute his old toolchain then...)