Running Wii template does nothing on Dolphin emulator (OSX)

AberrantWolf

Running Wii template does nothing on Dolphin emulator (OSX)

Post by AberrantWolf » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:14 pm

I have followed the instructions to install devkitPPC on my mac (OS X 10.7.1). The NeHe example projects all compile and appear to run pretty well within the Dolphin emulator. When I build and run the template project, however, the emulator just sits there with a blank screen (not black, but white -- the default color of windows on Mac OS -- displaying no system information as it usually does). In the title bar it reports 100% speed but 0 FPS.

My question is twofold:

1. Is this expected behavior?
2. If so, what is the minimum requirement to actually getting SOMETHING to draw on screen?

Thanks for the help. I searched for this on the forums, but I'm pretty new here so I maybe didn't look properly enough to find something obvious. If so, I apologize.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: Running Wii template does nothing on Dolphin emulator (O

Post by WinterMute » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Under Graphics/Hacks untick Disable in the External Frame Buffer box - the basic console stuff writes directly to XFB which Dolphin doesn't render by default.

Getting something to draw on the screen depends on your level of experience - the SDL port is probably reasonably good for beginners just getting started. If you have a bit more experience then the neheGX examples and something like the gxSprite demo might be more to your taste.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

AberrantWolf

Re: Running Wii template does nothing on Dolphin emulator (O

Post by AberrantWolf » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Awesome, thanks! So if I ONLY uncheck Disable in that section, it still doesn't work (no change in what shows on screen). I have to also switch the radio button to "Real" not "Virtual".

The problem that then occurs is that, if I set it to "Real" external framebuffer, the bottom top half of the screen becomes a stretched version of the top line from the bottom half. The bottom half renders correctly, however.

(This isn't visible with the template program, as the "Hello World" only draws once; and even if you write it multiple times, it doesn't touch the line that gets stretched. I've attached an image of NeHe tutorial 2 running with the Real framebuffer so you can see what I mean.)

My experience level is that I was pretty comfortable with OpenGL early on, and I've recently gotten into shader writing after several years away. :P