Newbie here!

NeoSnk

Newbie here!

Post by NeoSnk » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:34 pm

Hello everyone, I'm trying to port my SDL games to the Nintendo Wii, but in both tutorials I found I can't get through this step:

Download and copy the PPC ported libraries to your portlibs folder (on Windows this is c:\devkitPro\portlibs\ppc)

I can't find these PPC libraries anywhere the links are broken (Maybe it is not necessary anymore?)

I have been working for 3 years in a SDL engine for the Sega Dreamcast and I would love to get the same games running on Nintendo Wii too :)

Here is my project:
https://titangamestudios.com/2017/04/22 ... titan-ide/

Thanks a lot for the help.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: Newbie here!

Post by WinterMute » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:04 pm

Sorry to say that all tutorials should be considered out of date and contain poor advice. Almost nobody consults us before trying to instruct people on how to use our tools and libraries and unfortunately we kind of ended up in a vicious cycle of trying to clean up after people who don't consider the wider picture and help victims of poor tutorials which leaves pretty much no time to address that situation better.

If you've installed anything within your devkitpro folder from 3rd parties (i.e. not from us) then we would advise nuking the install and starting over from scratch. wiki/Getting_Started isn't fantastic but we've iterated on install processes a lot before finally settling on pacman.

Code: Select all

(sudo) (dkp-)pacman -S wii-sdl-libs
The parts in brackets depend on your host system and how pacman is provided - i.e. with msys2 there is no sudo & you can just run pacman. For systems where pacman has been provided by native package manager then it will be sudo pacman. For systems where we've provided the pacman binaries then it's sudo dkp-pacman.

Once you've done that you can use pacman to install the sdl libs you need. If there are other libraries you need that are missing then please let us know and/or submit a PR to the packages repo.

I still have to add an sdl demo or two to the the examples and the gamecube stuff hasn't been tested properly yet but wii should be all good.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

NeoSnk

Post by NeoSnk » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:40 pm

Thanks a lot for your help, I got SDL installed!!!

One last question if you can help me (Please XD) on my files should I import it like I do when I use SDL on PC? (#include <SDL/sdl.h>)

And on the makefile should I use the SDL flag? (LIBS := -lSDL)

Thanks a lot for your time.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:11 am

NeoSnk wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:40 pm One last question if you can help me (Please XD) on my files should I import it like I do when I use SDL on PC? (#include <SDL/sdl.h>)

And on the makefile should I use the SDL flag? (LIBS := -lSDL)
Neither of these things. You're supposed to use the include path and libs set from sdl-config or pkg-config and include <SDL.h> directly. The include you're using will also fail on case sensitive filenames so you should use the correct capitalisation for portability.

Using the standard template you can adjust CFLAGS and LIBS so they read like this :-

CFLAGS		= -O2 -Wall $(MACHDEP) $(INCLUDE) `$(PREFIX)pkg-config --cflags sdl`

LIBS	:=	`$(PREFIX)pkg-config --libs sdl`
running /opt/devkitpro/wii/bin/powerpc-eabi-pkg-config --list-all from a shell will give you a list of all the libraries currently available in this way.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

NeoSnk

Post by NeoSnk » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:38 pm

I got it working, I don't know how to thank you :D As soon I port my games to Wii Ill post it on this forum :)

You're the best!

NeoSnk

Post by NeoSnk » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:17 am

Hey guys! The port of my homebrews to the Nintendo Wii was a success thanks to this forum :D

All my templates are avaiable here for PC, Dreamcast and Wii:

https://github.com/TItanGuy99/Titan-IDE ... r/Projects

Now I want to do the same for the Nintendo Game Cube. I was able to compile my code with no erros, I just need to know where to put my image files to load the images using SDL_LoadBMP.

Could you explain how the Game Cube file system works?

Thanks a lot.

HudsonBr

Post by HudsonBr » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:40 am

i have the same question
Now I want to do the same for the Nintendo Game Cube. I was able to compile my code with no erros, I just need to know where to put my image files to load the images using SDL_LoadBMP.

Could you explain how the Game Cube file system works?
Were you able to find out ?
..::Game Developer::..