Gamecube ASCII controller support

capz

Gamecube ASCII controller support

Post by capz » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:09 am

Hi all! I have a 'problem'. I've started looking into libogc this week and I was really hoping to get the ascii controller to work with gamecube homebrew. Trouble is, the documentation for gamecube code is kind of lacking. I believe PAD_* to be a higher level interface to the controllers, and I believe it should be possible to interact with non-gamepads, but there are not examples or docs for the lower level stuff (si.h?)

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction. More specifically, point me at the apis to look at, and if undocumented, some minimal explanation.
the leaked gamecube sdk is missing its docs as well, sadly ... :cry:

antidote

Re: Gamecube ASCII controller support

Post by antidote » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:51 am

PAD interacts directly with the SI bus to interact with the controller, the protocol to talk to the controller is very specific and is completely unrelated to other controllers, what you put forward just isn't possible with PAD.

EDIT:
Further, even if it were possible, it's not within the scope of PAD, there is a reason why such APIs are separated the way they are.

capz

Re: Gamecube ASCII controller support

Post by capz » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:55 pm

of course i understand that the PAD apis are not suitable for keyboard input. however, retail games make use of these controllers via a seperate controller port. I had already figured out that i would probably have to interface with it via the SI apis. Perhaps I had not phrased my question clearly enough.
Essentially I've found SI and found it to be badly documented. I haven't got a clue where to start or where to find examples. I've tried poking around but was not able to get anything working. any pointers would be helpful as i can't pour a lot of time into this.