devkitARMUpdate.pl

support for the ARM toolchain
kusma

devkitARMUpdate.pl

Post by kusma » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:25 am

For my Pimpmobile music player, I have a TravisCI setup that downloads and installs devkitARM, thanks to the neat automated installer (devkitARMUpdate.pl in my case, as this is for Linux).

However, recently, that has started to give a 404. So I went to the download page, to see what's up. Now, clearly, the installer is no longer there, even though the README-file still talks about it. I did some further digging, and found that the automated installer has been replaced with pacman. That kinda sounds neat, but it was quite a bit of hassle figuring it out.

Perhaps something can be done to make this a bit more obvious? I realize that it's a rather recent move, and that the kinks might take some time to iron out. But perhaps we can at least get that README-file updated to reflect the new situation?

I would also have loved if moves like this could have been done in a slightly smoother way. Perhaps having the perl-script still exits, at least during some transition period? I dunno, I guess I wouldn't have noticed the deprecation warning until it's too late anyway... it's not the easiest thing to sort out in that way... I just wish my CI-setup would be compatible across all versions...

By the way, I tried installing it locally, and the result is really nice! Good move!

I saw some minor regression in my setup, where I needed to add $(DEVKITPRO)/tools/bin to my path to find gbafix and the GBFS tools, just thought you'd like to know. It seems to have happened during the move to pacman.

And of course, thanks a lot for making devkitARM, it make GBA / NDS programming so much easier!
Last edited by fincs on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: devkitPro is an organization, not software

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: devkitARMUpdate.pl

Post by WinterMute » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:50 am

kusma wrote:For my Pimpmobile music player, I have a TravisCI setup that downloads and installs devkitARM, thanks to the neat automated installer (devkitARMUpdate.pl in my case, as this is for Linux).

However, recently, that has started to give a 404. So I went to the download page, to see what's up. Now, clearly, the installer is no longer there, even though the README-file still talks about it. I did some further digging, and found that the automated installer has been replaced with pacman. That kinda sounds neat, but it was quite a bit of hassle figuring it out.
Everything has been on github for quite some time and I've been getting rather fed up with Sourceforge dominating the search results for devkitPro toolchains leading to people turning up with issues that were fixed eons ago. Sourceforge infrastructure ended up seriously unreliable too & there has been a period of several months where it's been largely random whether I could even access the file release system there.
I would also have loved if moves like this could have been done in a slightly smoother way.
Yeah, I would too. Unfortunately I think the best thing in the end is just to rip the plaster off & remove the dormant SF project listing so people find their way here.

This might be more helpful for you https://github.com/devkitPro/libnds/com ... d37b58f262

I've put up toolchain docker images at https://hub.docker.com/u/devkitpro/ which contain all the latest tools and libraries which hopefully people will use for CI going forward.
By the way, I tried installing it locally, and the result is really nice! Good move!
It is really rather nice having an actual package manager for all this stuff :)
I saw some minor regression in my setup, where I needed to add $(DEVKITPRO)/tools/bin to my path to find gbafix and the GBFS tools, just thought you'd like to know. It seems to have happened during the move to pacman.
Another advantage of the pacman packaging is the ability to update all the little tools separately from the main toolchain and I recently discovered people have been adding the tools to their path permanently for access to things like ndstool, dslink & 3dslink. It seemed better to have a path that could be added permanently without polluting the system with custom cross compilers.
And of course, thanks a lot for making devkitARM, it make GBA / NDS programming so much easier!
Thanks. It's always nice to know that people appreciate the tools :)
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

kusma

Re: devkitARMUpdate.pl

Post by kusma » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:17 am

WinterMute wrote:Everything has been on github for quite some time and I've been getting rather fed up with Sourceforge dominating the search results for devkitPro toolchains leading to people turning up with issues that were fixed eons ago. Sourceforge infrastructure ended up seriously unreliable too & there has been a period of several months where it's been largely random whether I could even access the file release system there.
Ah, I can sympathize with that; I've had the same issue myself with some project previously hosted at sourceforge,
WinterMute wrote: This might be more helpful for you https://github.com/devkitPro/libnds/com ... d37b58f262

I've put up toolchain docker images at https://hub.docker.com/u/devkitpro/ which contain all the latest tools and libraries which hopefully people will use for CI going forward.
Ah, that's super nice! Here's what I ended up doing: https://github.com/kusma/pimpmobile/blo ... travis.yml
...but using a docker-image I think is even nicer! I'll give it a spin soon!

I also think that a docker-image can untangle future automation breakages, so hopefully doing this will avoid the risk of future similar-ish breakages.

Micro-nit: it seems the board thinks I'm a spammer if I use the URL bb-code... is there some user-flag you could set to say "this guy isn't a spambot"?