Tried to install on Ubuntu and got a 404 error

support for the ARM toolchain
Silicon42

Tried to install on Ubuntu and got a 404 error

Post by Silicon42 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:26 am

I just tried to install devkitARM on Kubuntu via the buildscripts and was rewarded with this unhelpful error:

Code: Select all

cs@cs-A960D:~/Documents/devkitpro/buildscripts$ ./build-devkit.sh
Please note, these scripts are provided as a courtesy, toolchains built with them
are for personal use only and may not be distributed by entities other than devkitPro.
See http://devkitpro.org/wiki/Trademarks

Patches and improvements are of course welcome, please submit a PR
https://github.com/devkitPro/buildscripts/pulls

Looking for configuration file... Found.

Please select the toolchain you require

1: devkitARM (gba gp32 ds)
2: devkitPPC (gamecube wii)
3: devkitA64 (switch)

Please enter the directory where you would like 'devkitARM' to be installed:
for mingw/msys you must use <drive>:/<install path> or you will have include path problems
this is the top level directory for devkitpro, i.e. e:/devkitPro
/home/cs/Documents/devkitpro

use /usr/bin/make as make

Ready to install devkitARM in /home/cs/Documents/devkitpro/devkitARM

press return to continue

binutils-2.30.tar.xz
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
Error: Failed to download binutils-2.30.tar.xz
Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

fincs
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: Tried to install on Ubuntu and got a 404 error

Post by fincs » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:01 pm

Is there any particular reason why you can't use the prebuilt binaries through devkitPro-pacman?
Donate to devkitPro - help us stay alive!

Silicon42

Post by Silicon42 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:14 pm

Ubuntu does not have pacman and furthermore, it is highly frowned upon to have multiple package managers installed on one system because they can't keep track of each others changes potentially leading to catastrophic file system corruption. This means that most package managers don't have easy ways to be installed on systems that they are not prepackaged with because said systems are typically prepackaged with their own package managers.

That being said, if you know how to install pacman on Ubuntu, that'd probably work well enough for me since I'd only use it to install the devkit.

fincs
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by fincs » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:19 pm

You seem to be unaware that we do ship in fact a build of pacman specifically targeting Debian based distros such as Ubuntu, meant to coexist with apt. We named it dkp-pacman, and it installs as a .deb you can easily run dpkg on. Please refer to this: https://github.com/devkitPro/pacman/releases/latest
Donate to devkitPro - help us stay alive!

WinterMute
Site Admin

Post by WinterMute » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:18 pm

Silicon42 wrote:Ubuntu does not have pacman and furthermore, it is highly frowned upon to have multiple package managers installed on one system because they can't keep track of each others changes potentially leading to catastrophic file system corruption. This means that most package managers don't have easy ways to be installed on systems that they are not prepackaged with because said systems are typically prepackaged with their own package managers.

That being said, if you know how to install pacman on Ubuntu, that'd probably work well enough for me since I'd only use it to install the devkit.
devkitPro toolchains and support libraries are deliberately self contained within /opt/devkitpro and won't interfere with the system tools and libraries.

We're currently supplying just over 100 packages via pacman now so, as I'm sure you'll appreciate, making packages for all the distros we can run on is a lot of effort that seems wasteful when we can standardise on one. Most of these are devkitPro toolchain specific and don't really make any sense to repackage in several formats for no particularly good reason.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog