Successfully built on Android (Aarch64)

support for the ARM toolchain
LeviathaninWaves

Successfully built on Android (Aarch64)

Post by LeviathaninWaves » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:46 am

I'm happy to report that I was able to build devkitARM on my Note 20 Ultra Android 12 smartphone, which is an Aarch64 (64 bit ARM) device. This required a couple of extra prerequisite steps however. I used Termux as the terminal which gives a basic and minimalistic Linux like environment. Additionally, through Andronix (another app) I was able to install Ubuntu which gives a more complete Linux environment on Android. This does not require root. I followed the instructions on getting prerequisite packages (in my case, I also needed texinfo).

From there the buildscripts were giving me 404 errors. After fixing the broken links I was able to build. This took about 5 hours. However after building this, picasso, citro3d, citro2d, 3dstools, general-tools, libctru... I was able to build some of the 3ds examples on my smartphone and run them on Citra. There are still some dependencies needed in order for all of the examples to compile, like libmodplug, but as a proof of concept, yes devkitPro on Android can be done.

There are some other nuances involved in working around some recent changes in Android. Such as changing the process limit through adb (Android will kill Linux programs quickly if too much activity is going on) and getting internal storage setup for Termux and Ubuntu. But it works.

WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: Successfully built on Android (Aarch64)

Post by WinterMute » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:47 pm

Once you got to the point where you had Ubuntu installed all you had to do was install devkitPro pacman using the instructions from wiki/devkitPro_pacman#Installing_devkitPro_Pacman. We've been supplying aarch64 linux binaries for quite some time.
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog