Make error 2, please help

Jeziah

Make error 2, please help

Post by Jeziah » Sun May 04, 2008 8:23 pm

Every time i try to "make" any one of the examples, the make fails (error 2). I've uninstalled then re-installed devkitpro twice now, and restarted my computer many times, but it still does not work :c. I'm running XP.

tristero

Re: Make error 2, please help

Post by tristero » Mon May 05, 2008 12:09 am

Jeziah wrote:Every time i try to "make" any one of the examples, the make fails (error 2). I've uninstalled then re-installed devkitpro twice now, and restarted my computer many times, but it still does not work :c. I'm running XP.
If you want to get help on this sort of problem, you need to capture the relevant console output. "make fails" could mean a million different things, and virtually no-one can tell which of those things you are suffering from, nor even how to start debugging your problem.

Jeziah

Post by Jeziah » Fri May 09, 2008 1:42 am

The admin has already discussed this exact error (the solution didnt work for me). I was hoping he could help me, as he would have experience and would not need to work through the complete copy/paste of my problem.

tristero

Post by tristero » Fri May 09, 2008 9:24 am

Jeziah wrote:The admin has already discussed this exact error (the solution didnt work for me). I was hoping he could help me, as he would have experience and would not need to work through the complete copy/paste of my problem.
Not much point in asking the question in a forum then, surely? Just send a PM to WinterMute and be done with it.

And no-one else benefits from Google searching and finding your description of the problem, or any possible answers.

Sigh.

Jeziah

Post by Jeziah » Fri May 09, 2008 6:13 pm

Do i REALLY need to quote the whole thing? i mean, everything i've seen of make error 2 has been in the EXACT same context. "Make Error 2" should be enough for everyone. More efficient. BTW, who is WinterMute? the Admin?

tristero

Post by tristero » Sat May 10, 2008 12:41 pm

Jeziah wrote:Do i REALLY need to quote the whole thing? i mean, everything i've seen of make error 2 has been in the EXACT same context. "Make Error 2" should be enough for everyone. More efficient.
Here is what the man page for make says:

Code: Select all

EXIT STATUS
       GNU make exits with a status of zero if all makefiles were successfully
       parsed and no targets that were built failed.  A status of one will  be
       returned  if  the  -q  flag  was used and make determines that a target
       needs to be rebuilt.  A status of two will be returned  if  any  errors
       were encountered.
In laymans terms, what its saying is "make will return error 2 if any sub-process or command it tries to execute has a problem." That could be a C compile, C++, the link, bad options to ndstool, copying non-existant files, anything. So, as far as make is concerned, all it knows is "something has failed". Its up to you to read the rest of the console log to determine exactly what that something was.
BTW, who is WinterMute? the Admin?
Yes. Look at any of his posts and you'll see it says "Site Admin" under his name. Since you referred to his posts saying "the admin has already discussed ..." I assumed you knew that. Or if there's some other admin (which there may well be), I apologise, I only know the one.

Jeziah

Post by Jeziah » Tue May 13, 2008 1:48 am

i didnt kno the admin's name was WinterMute. i only skimmed the page ;_;
So make error 2=ANY error? damn. sorry, i didnt kno. ill get the data...