OSX Version of R22 or R23 coming?

support for the ARM toolchain
WinterMute
Site Admin

Re: OSX Version of R22 or R23 coming?

Post by WinterMute » Mon May 05, 2008 11:35 am

tristero wrote:
tristero wrote: Well, given that the FSF themselves admit that gcc4.3.0 has problems building newlib for "machines that are close to the metal", I'm somewhat surprised that you don't get the problems yourself.
Apparently I was mistaken - thats the last time I trust what I read on the Internet. ;-)
Well, to be fair, the message you found does go into some detail about the problem and I happened to sidestep it by patching gcc to allow things to link without specifying a specs fragment. It's much easier to run configure on 3rd party libraries when you don't have to add extra cruft just to get the configury to accept that the compiler actually can create binaries.

This section of the message at http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2008-03/msg00515.html
Brian Dessent wrote: One proposed remedy was apparently to have the user add libgloss to their tree, and add code to detect this and pass the appropriate flags down when configuring target libraries, allowing link tests to work. But there was objection to this because people were uncomfortable with letting link tests succeed without the user having specified a BSP, since that increases the potential for a user to build a toolchain whose configuration does not match with what the actual hardware supports.
Since either the libgloss layer I added to implement pseudo devices for IO or some equivalent needs to be linked in order to create binaries at all I chose to make gcc link this by default, specifically to allow link tests to work when configuring other libraries. By a happy co-incidence this happens to be that same workaround for the libstdc++ configury problem.
At your advice, I started again from scratch, grabbed the latest cvs checkins and built the whole thing from scratch, and it went through without problems (on Intel - haven't done PPC yet). I can only assume that I had *still* had partial builds in my system somehow previously (perhaps after I got the first problem, and went to get gmp/mpfr).
Actually that's something that slipped my mind completely, when a build fails after partial completion it's often not in a state where the compile can be resumed. Cleaning out a failed build is one of those things that you end up doing automatically & forgetting to tell other people to do, sorry.
There are still niggling things being reported which are obviously problems:

strip: can't process non-object and non-archive file: /projects/dkp23/devkitARM/bin/arm-eabi-gccbug
strip: can't map file: /projects/dkp23/devkitARM/libexec/gcc/arm-eabi/4.3.0/install-tools (Invalid argument)

the first one is a shellscript, the second a directory. Anything that tries to run strip on them is making a mistake.
This is harmless - strip knows what it can deal with and fails gracefully. On the other hand this is something I always meant to go back and see if I could fix just because it irritates me too :) I've committed some changes to stop the script from stripping these files now.

And getting to that point means that all the other builds worked fine.
Congratulations! I bet that feels good :)
Ok, I have to say, all bets are off. I just did the PPC build (from scratch) and it barfed somewhere different. it actually complained about 'bad assembler option "r"' which is just insane. After a few more attempts (which all died at the same place) I decided to restart the terminal process just to see if some process limit had been hit.

Bingo.

Started a new terminal, restarted the build process and it got past the sticking point and kept on rocking.
I hate those - I suffered something similar on a linux box a couple of years ago which turned out to be memory going bad. Building gcc and associated tools tends to stress a system rather a lot. As you say, it could also be other processes getting in the way
Help keep devkitPro toolchains free, Donate today

Personal Blog

tristero

Re: OSX Version of R22 or R23 coming?

Post by tristero » Tue May 06, 2008 10:04 am

WinterMute wrote:Since either the libgloss layer I added to implement pseudo devices for IO or some equivalent needs to be linked in order to create binaries at all I chose to make gcc link this by default, specifically to allow link tests to work when configuring other libraries. By a happy co-incidence this happens to be that same workaround for the libstdc++ configury problem.
Ah, so the "fix" actually happened a while back. That would explain a lot, though I also think I was misreading the configure scripts. I was under the impression that it had to *run* the test application, not just *link* it, and thats what I figured would be impossible in a cross-compile situation (since an arm binary is never going to run on OSX). Thats assuming that my failures were happening when it was trying to build the arm libraries, not the cross-compiler support; as I recall, it seemed to be finding the wrong arm assembler. Anyway, thats history, no point trying to diagnose "what I remember"...
Actually that's something that slipped my mind completely, when a build fails after partial completion it's often not in a state where the compile can be resumed. Cleaning out a failed build is one of those things that you end up doing automatically & forgetting to tell other people to do, sorry.
I've actually been going around the cycle a few more times, just to convince myself that I must have made an earlier mistake, and that it wasn't some special case (like specifying "." as the source directory, etc), and I haven't been able to reproduce the failure, so I think it becomes live and learn for next time.

Thanks for the patience...